An Interesting History Of My Name: Brielle | Teen Ink

An Interesting History Of My Name: Brielle

March 22, 2023
By 3holcomb BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
3holcomb BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

An Interesting History Of My Name: Brielle 


The name Brielle has been around for centuries, but it did not start out as a name for a person. It was originally used as a name for a place or town. There are multiple nationalities that use the name, and each gave ‘Brielle’ its own meaning.


In Middle Dutch, briel meant “enclosed woodland or park, market, square”. The use of the name briel first showed up about 1257.
In Irish or American backgrounds, Brielle meant “hill”. 
In French, it meant “hunting grounds”.

Names in general come from many different origins, backgrounds, and viewpoints. There is no one history of a name.  Brielle as a name for a person is a contemporary name. Just as the meaning of the name “Brielle” changed with different nationalities when it was used as the name of a place, so too the meaning of Brielle changes with different nationalities when it is assigned to a person.


The history of my name Brielle, is a modern English version of a feminine given name. In French it means “God is my strength”. In Hebrew the meaning is “Heroine of God”. “The name Brielle is not mentioned in the Bible. Still, Gabriel the Archangel does make multiple appearances in the Bible. Gabrielle is a derivation of Gabriel, and Brielle is a shortened version of Gabrielle. So, Brielle can be validly said to have biblical roots. (“Brielle Name Meaning (Origin, Popularity & Nicknames)”)


 It is a popular name,especially in the United States and the Netherlands. It has been in the top 200 for over ten years. It is the 118th most popular choice for girls in 2021. Some popular nicknames include:Bree, Bri, Brie, Ell, Ella, Elle, Ellie, Lee.

 

 

 

Work Cited

“Brielle Name Meaning (Origin, Popularity & Nicknames).” Mom Loves Best, 19 August 2022, momlovesbest.com/brielle-name-meaning. Accessed 22 March 2023.


The author's comments:

I was just curious what the background of my name was. It started out as a name for a place. This is a picture of my name as a city- Brielle, Netherlands, a Dutch City and municipality of the Province of South Holland