The Meet | Teen Ink

The Meet MAG

The Meet by A. W., New City, NY

Today was the day of the big meet. It was Clarkstown versus Tappan Zee. It was also my first meet. I woke up that morning feeling a little bit queasy. As the day went on, it got worse. I had trouble concentrating on my classes. All I could think about was swimming the 200-yard freestyle. The race seemed so long, and I knew I would do badly. Somehow I made it through eighth period.

As the bus pulled up to the pool, the butterflies in my stomach got more and more restless. I was really nervous. I can't do this, I thought to myself, as I got off the bus. I got more and more nervous as I changed and did my warm up.

Finally the meet started. OH NO, my race is next, I can't do

this, I can't believe she put me in the 200 hundred varsity free, I panicked. As I climbed up onto the starting block I could barely stand. I put on my goggles and took a deep breath. My heart was pounding so loudly. I could barely hear in the background:

"200-yard freestyle," stated the judge, "Mr. Starter."

"Swimmers, take your mark."

Everything was a blur. I remember hearing the loud bang of the gun, and the feel of the cold water on my body as I entered the pool. I remember the feel of my goggles around my neck, as I struggled to see how far I was from the wall. Most of all I remember kicking and pulling as hard as I could for the

eight laps (which seemed to last forever). And how good it felt when I got out of the water, knowing I had finished the race. I heard the rest of my team cheering for me even though I had come in last, and I realized that it didn't matter what place I came in, as long as I tried my hardest. I was very proud of myself for doing what I had thought was impossible. I smiled as I thought of doing better in future races, and not being as nervous as I was for this race.

After this race I realized that I was destined to be last in this race and many to follow. But there is still hope that perhaps in the future I will come in fifth, or maybe fourth.