Artificial Intelligence and Crime | Teen Ink

Artificial Intelligence and Crime

By adnanahmed0014 BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey
adnanahmed0014 BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey

The ability of artificial intelligence is profound to many, however, it can also prove to be a costly nuisance. From manufacturing to agriculture, AI is a tool used broadly for multiple purposes. One famous example, although not purely AI, Alexa is a virtual assistant that uses AI technology to provide service to its owner. It may seem “cool” to hear about, and fun to listen to how far the technology is being implemented in our lives, but some of its effects are anything but amazing. Artificial technology has the capability to be used in law enforcement, as well as the government, but in such cases, it also has the ability to invade personal privacy. Subsequently, it can act as a direct violation of human rights. 

AI has various uses in law enforcement and criminology that are quite impactful. One such use is the ability of AI systems to “detect crime” over the internet. To elaborate, artificial intelligence systems use developed algorithms to detect any sort of words related to criminal activity; then the systems proceed to send whatever was found to law enforcement that specializes in that field to take any sort of action necessary. Another use, possibly most famous in policing, facial recognition has proven its ability to simplify intensive labor to catch a criminal. Facial recognition has the ability to run a scan through a considerably big database of human faces to identify/catch a criminal or person that is being searched for. In perspective theory, AI has the capability to reduce human interactivity by averting crime and/or solving it. The uses AI provides can only seem too good to be true but are in fact used quite prominently even though there are many drawbacks. 

One giant disadvantage of using the wonderful systems of artificial intelligence in law enforcement is the possibility of its strong intrusion of personal privacy. With newer advancements being introduced to AI, it is gaining the power to access personal information in a manner that is no small misdemeanor regarding human rights. Accessing personal information may seem like no big deal, however, it is most certainly a big deal in regard to how much AI can magnify its potential of privacy intrusion. The systems and technology used by AI have the ability to monitor and track any being at all times. It’s almost as if we are living in the Truman show!  

A very specific AI-based software, facial recognition has caused a national tumultuous uproar. As explained before, facial recognition can match an individual based on a certain database. No matter how often it has helped, facial recognition has caused multiple cases of wrongful arrests, specifically of colored men. Not only are these types of arrests wrong on a moral level of humanity, but they also prove that this technology works at times with discrimination. According to a federal study done in 2019, when compared to a caucasian man, the faces of a colored or Asian man were up to 100 times more likely to be misidentified. Many cases of wrongful arrests like the ones involving Nijeer Parks as well as Robert Williams only stand to prove how facial recognition is not ready to be used in law enforcement. It is certain that facial recognition has helped in “catching” criminals, however, the chance that it can catch an innocent individual is absolutely unacceptable. 

Considering how AI and facial recognition can act with slight immorality, there must be a strong response to its implementation. The most obvious solution that any individual can think of, is removing the technology from all the wrong places it was implemented. Now, by wrong places, it can mean anywhere that AI has caused any sort of violation, and does not fulfill its purpose. A vehement example is facial recognition. It is quite clear facial recognition is not completely ready to be used in law enforcement. There must be an alternative option found to using facial recognition so that it can be put on indefinite hold until it is properly improved. As a result of a possible temporary suspension for improvement, AI can be used in the future with no error rate, and no violation of human rights. 

If the major issue of AI and privacy is not resolved at any point in the near future, more individuals are at risk of having their human rights violated. The common and innocent people do not deserve to have be put through any sort of trouble with law enforcement, and law enforcement does not need any more reasons to consider suspending the use of certain AI systems/software like facial recognition. Even though artificial intelligence is strongly utilized due to how valuable it can be, using some if not all of its systems in all aspects and areas need to be reconsidered.