Being Your Own Writer | Teen Ink

Being Your Own Writer

By KateLA GOLD, Everett, Washington
KateLA GOLD, Everett, Washington

Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
-Unknown

A lot of writers model after their own idols, whether it be JK Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Stephen King, or whoever else floats your boat. It is beneficial to read their works and learn from them-I encourage it, but why be a copycat? You should take what style you like from bits and pieces of their works, not try and copy the whole thing. Soon your stories will sound exactly like another Stephen King wannabe spinoff, or some Stephenie Meyer vampire-love romance-some spinoff or twist of an idea that's already been used and reused a hundred times over. Mary Shelley and Bram Stoker came up with Dracula and Frankenstein-with their own, completely original ideas, and look how their names have carried on throughout history. The true test is time. Sure Bram Stoker came up with this from the mythology regarding Vlad Tepes, but this was still his idea-and he made it happen on his own like (keep in mind) no other writer had before him. He made this myth a legend, and brought more attention and fame to it than one would have ever thought possible. You have to explore yourself, what styles and point of views you naturally put yourself in when writing a book: whether it be through first person (main character and narrator), third person (basically an unspecified entity narrating by using 'he', 'she', or 'it'), third person omniscient (storyteller who plays no part in the story, but seems to know the character's thoughts-like Morgan Freeman), switching from character to character, or a combination of views.

You also have to keep in mind which point of view you enjoy and thrive in the most, whether it's because you can interpret the intense scenes better through first person and really live it, can explore more possibilities between switching characters, or if you go for third person so you can write more details on everything regarding the situation and character(s). It also depends on what fits the book the best, and you need to be the one deciding it-not JK Rowling, not Stephen King, not Stephenie Meyer. Because guess what? Your ideas are not theirs-your book is not theirs-it is your own responsibility to exercise your creativity and to take charge of your book, do not let yourself off the hook by saying, for example-“What would Mrs. Meyer do?”. It's your responsibility and your problem, take charge of your book. It's okay to see what other people who have been in your place have done and it's okay to seek inspiration from them, but do not let them take over your ideas and your life. You are original, and your ideas should belong to you, and you should be fit to make your own decisions about them.

Make your own name, build up your own name, have people want to write like you-don't want to write like other people. Their ideas are already taken, and quite frankly, if you write in the same style as the other writer you so admire-what on earth makes you special? Sure you should look up to them and occasionally look for answers on whether you should add a description here or there, but why on earth would you want to be them-or be like them? Be yourself-write yourself! The styles and ideas of other writers are taken-make your own and make it good!

I wrote this because I think writers should look up to their idols and feel good about them, but should depend on themselves and explore their own writing styles and ideas instead of modeling and copying other writers-no matter how famous they are.

KateLA GOLD said...
KateLA GOLD, Everett, Washington

-Unknown

Thank you! :-D

WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

Finally! Someone shares my point of view. I think you were really honest and that writers should be their own writers. This is going to my favorites. Looking forward to your new work :)