Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones... | Teen Ink

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones...

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones...

Did you know that an estimated 30 percent of teens in the United States are involved in school bullying as either a bully or as a victim? Though it is said that teen bullying is more frequent among boys than it is among girls, this does not mean that bullying does not happen at all to girls. Boys are more prone to physical bullying by fighting each other. Girls are more apt to participate in a mental type of bullying. They tend to mess with a girls mind, talking about them behind their back, spreading rumors, or just being flat out mean.

Why do these teenage girls feel the need to make someone else’s life a living nightmare? Control, insecurities, the power to feel strong, these could all be possible reasons. Teenage girls are vicious. Yes a fist flying into your face can hurt you immensely, but so can words said untruthfully behind your back. Some people call it girls being girls, but it’s more than just that. It’s bullying, whether you want to face the cold, hard facts or not. When you say bullying, you think of that big kid in elementary school trying to steal the tiny kid’s lunch money. Let stereotypes be stereotypes, but not all bullies are like that.

Bullying is more serious than people realize. Schools always try to stop bullying, say it’s okay to talk to someone, and to always tell someone if you are getting bullied. But sometimes for the person getting bullied it’s not always that easy. The person getting bullied already feels like a coward enough for not sticking up for themselves and then to go tell an adult makes them feel even more like a coward. There are most likely more bullies in your school than you realize. The person sitting next to you could be getting bullied in a mild form, and you just don’t know about it, mostly because they won’t tell anyone. They think they can handle it themselves, but the truth is no one can handle a bully by themselves.

There are long term effects of bullying in the person being the bully, and the person being bullied. The bully could head for trouble later in life, being a naturally violent and or abusive person. The person being bullied could face serious emotional damage from their adolescence past. They could carry serious baggage throughout their entire life just because of an incident with a bully. Bullying can make you feel scared and insecure during the phase of bullying and even afterward. Bullying isn’t something that should just be overlooked as something that teens go through in their life; it’s a serious problem that millions of adolescents go through everyday. It needs to be stopped, but victims of bullying aren’t going to speak up. They live in fear that anything they say or do will make their bully hurt them even worse.

So look to your right and to your left and think to yourself how one of those people could be getting bullied or could be a bully. Think how you can either stop them or help them. Reach out to those in need, because they need all the help they can get. They can’t just live in fear forever.

This will certify that the above work is completely original.