Courage, dear heart | Teen Ink

Courage, dear heart

Often courage is quiet. It's the whisper in you that tells you to keep going, to be strong and not to give up no matter how many times you have failed in the past. It's the voice that is sometimes forgotten, but that's always there. It's the hand you can hold when your heart is trembling. But above all, courage is a decision, a promise you make to yourself. It's the promise that even though fear spreads within us, we will move forward even if it is with hesitant and frightened steps. As Eleonor Roosevelt said, "We do not have to become heroes overnight. " It's okay to be afraid. I'm scared too, but with a little bit of bravery, we can get closer to who we want to be.

I write this feeling dizzy at the thought of never being good enough. I write this feeling like a tightrope walker who is afraid of losing her balance and falling into the void, of failing.
I write this to the rhythm of my frenetic heartbeat.

I don't know what the future holds for me, but I promise myself that if I ever feel my thoughts are suffocating me, I will be brave in my own way. Leo Tolstoy once said, "I think... if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts. "I dare to think that if like love, courage comes from the heart, then there are as many kinds of courage as there are people.