Eating Disorders | Teen Ink

Eating Disorders

By RaniaAitbouchireb BRONZE, Houston, Texas
RaniaAitbouchireb BRONZE, Houston, Texas

“If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how very different our ideals of beauty would be.” (Author Unknown) We live in an image-conscious culture, which urges all of us to improve our appearance. Eating disorders are results of the “perfect body” that society encourages. Eating disorders have a major impact on teens today by affecting their daily lives. Efforts to solve eating disorders could change the world but mainly heal a heart.

The ideal body in today's society is mainly showcased through social media These influences on the lives of young people have forced them to take extreme measures and in some cases, has been the cause of death. Social media in today’s society has proven to have a negative impact on the way young people, specifically females, view their bodies. Unrealistic beauty standards, dangerous comparisons, and disorders have all been a result of the increase in social media and the impact that it has on the lives of young people.To begin, social media has created unrealistic standards for young people, especially females. Being bombarded by pictures of females wearing bikinis or minimal clothing that exemplifies their “perfect” bodies. And the worst part is that the famous celebrities that people feel inspired by the most end up being the one that causes them to have thoughts of how to get a skinny body. In a recent survey taken among teens, one of the questions was “How often do you feel pressured to be thin or the perfect size.” 38% of the teens said “sometimes”. 18% said “always”. 9% said rarely. And 19% said “never”. This proves that many teens feel pressured to be a certain size.

One of the many types of eating disorders is Anorexia Nervosa. Anorexia is the third most common chronic disease among young people, after asthma and type 1 diabetes. Anorexia nervosa is a serious eating disorder that results in unhealthy, often dangerous weight loss. This causes you to try to lose weight by starving yourself, exercising excessively, vomiting, or other methods to purge yourself after eating. Results of having anorexia are having a low weight for their body type and height. actively avoiding efforts to gain and maintain a healthy weight, developing an unhealthy relationship with food, limiting food intake, and in extreme cases death.

Another major type of eating disorder is bulimia nervosa. People with bulimia secretly binge eat large amounts of food and then right afterwards they purge trying to get rid of the food they ate.  When having an eating disorder, people experience weight fluctuations and do not lose weight they usually remain the same weight range or be slightly underweight.  Results of having an eating disorder include extreme social isolation, inability to sleep, suicide, possibly heart attacks and, death.

Though an eating disorder seems like there's no solution,  there are many known treatments such as psychotherapy, medical care, monitoring, and medication. Although those are the well-known ways to treat an eating disorder, sometimes a person going through an eating disorder needs an opportunity to feel loved and cared for. My solution is to create a decorated bulletin board with thumbtacks and sticky notes, which will allow students to express their feelings, and what's going on in their life that's hard such as depression, anxiety, and disorders. Then a counselor or teacher in charge of the bulletin board system will answer the students sticky note and return it back to them. I feel as though this system could help at least one life. And maybe someday this system could advance and be put into bookstores, malls, and even restrooms.

Eating Disorders have a major impact on teens today by affecting their daily lives. Though many teens have an eating disorder, there are many ways to help bring them back their smiles. Treating an eating disorder is a difficult task but not an impossible one. “There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever, there are only small steps upward: an easier day an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.” (Laurie Halse Anderson)

RawanAljaouni BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Yes exactly

GustavoC. said...
GustavoC.,
I do believe that this is a serious problem that needs to be handled. Although, it takes time to stop it, but there will never be an end to this because of judgmental individuals that makes others feel less of themselves.

kailynn said...
kailynn,
it's not as easy as you think it is. people that suffer from eating disorders are struggling mentally not only physically. they have a different perspective of their own body whereas someone else only sees what's on the outside.

LissaHarding BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"Don't you just hate it when your brownie posses you?" - My friend Ruby

yeah. this world keeps giving us this one size fits all image. but what we don't realize is that we are all different sizes, shapes and colors. it's what makes us, well, us

iamcool said...
iamcool, Houston, Texas
It's difficult for people who have eating disorders to talk to somebody because they feel like they might be judged and that they will say "just eat" or "get over it." You need to understand that all it takes is patience and support for them and don't treat them like trash.

316933 said...
316933, Houston, Texas
I definitely about the problems in our society with food disorders. Although we can't really help them change or lose weight. One thing they do need is our we support to others through their mental struggle.

ThuNguyen said...
ThuNguyen, Houston, Texas
One of my close friend in Austin she has Bulimia and I feel sorry for her because I know I can't help and all I can do its be here for her. Sometimes I would get scare because she would sometime call me in the middle of the night and say that she is sorry for everything and it makes me feel like she is going to commit suicide.

Xdragon said...
Xdragon,
I do believe that instead of being disgusted and shunning people who suffer through this, I think that we should help them and show that they are being loved for who they are. Who knows what happens to people are insecure about this? Suicide? Crazy thoughts? Homicide?

PeterCao BRONZE, Houston, Texas
The portrayal of eating disorders has made it as a disease that could be solved with a click of a button. Most people think that if they just eat enough to live or just stop overeating the problem is solved. However, this is a mental disease that the person wouldn't want.

1LonelyRose BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Depression and Anxiety do also make weight fluctuate. I have a friend who suffers from both and her weight is constantly changing.

RawanAljaouni BRONZE, Houston, Texas
i disagree. eating disorders are actual sicknesses, of course. they cannot be fixed by 'just eating'. people who suffer from them bodies' reject the food, unlike people who do not suffer from them. you would not tell somebody with a fever to just get better.

nango said...
nango, Houston, Texas
Eating Disorders shouldn't be happening in the first place all you need to do is eat some food and this wouldn't be a situation. But, people that face it are probably going throw a hard time in their life.

K.Dang said...
K.Dang, Houston, Texas
Social media causes people to encourage good visuals instead of good heart, and some people decide to achieve their desired body by starving themselves... But they should also incorporate healthy diets and exercising instead of just purging or starving.

LanTo BRONZE said...
LanTo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Eating disorders can happen and I agree to what you had just said as well. Because of the social media, teens are becoming more cautious about the way they look, however they shouldn't be cautious about their body in the first place.

Sugars said...
Sugars, Houston, Texas
I agree with both you and Kimberly. Although people who have problems don't tend to share what they are going through because they feel as if an adult can't help but worsen and pressure them.

ASLanguage said...
ASLanguage, Houston, Texas
Your solution to eating disorders can be a great one! However, not many people have the courage to break free from their shell.

Carsafety BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I agree with Kimberly but also you but I mean most people who have problems don't want to go to a counselor because they feel as if they won't help they will make it worse

KimberlyNgo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Your suggestion of a solution for eating disorders is great and all, but some people are shy and have the mindset that counselors won't help them.