Brain Cancer | Teen Ink

Brain Cancer

What is it? Brain cancer is a disease of the brain where cancer cells grow in the brain tissue. Cancer cells grow to form a mass of cancer tissue that interferes with brain tissue functions such as muscle control, sensation, memory, and other normal body functions. Tumors composed of cancer cells are called malignant tumors, and those composed of noncancerous cells are called benign tumors. Cancer cells that develop from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors. Statistics suggest that brain cancer is not rare and is likely to develop in about 20,000 people per year.
If it's so rare why did it have to happen to someone in my family? I still have never found the solution but it happened to my best friend, my sister. Around when she was 15 she started to get sick, she was getting headaches and she was just different than she usually was. So my parents took her to the doctor but they couldn't find out what was wrong so they sent her to the hospital where they took tests. After a couple hours they came back and told my parents that she had brain cancer. It had already reached her brain stem so there was nothing that could fix it unless she got a surgery that would cost thousands of dollars. My parents didn't have the money, they hardly had the money to even keep a house or my brother and me so they couldn't do anything. They told my sister she had a couple months to live so they kept her in the hospital most of the time. After a couple of weeks my sister couldn't talk or move. Make a Wish Foundation also came to the hospital to ask my sister to wish for something. She wished to go on a cruise to the bahamas. So the my family went on a 6 day cruise. My sister had the time of her life and it saddened her when it was over. Finally the doctors explained that my sister only had a few days to live so they let us take her home to spend the last few days of her life. I can remember the night she died perfectly even though I was 5 years old. I don't think I will ever forget it either. On November 12, 2:30 in the morning my sister passed away in her sleep. Soon after my sister died my parents got divorced and it was never the same. I had to go to counseling because of my depression but now I'm a fun-loving, popular with my friends and I don't think about my sister that much but I'll never forget her.

R.I.P.

SIS

AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

man i alomst cryed ( due to the fact i dont want my makeup to run)! really touching!

bucket123 said...
Your story brought tears to my eyes. My aunt has brain cancer and will eventually die, although she is receiving very good health care. So I can relate to your story. I also pray that Americans will soon receive subsidized health care because they all deserve it. I wish your sister did not have to suffer the way she did, no person should have to go through that.