Homework, Good or Bad for You? | Teen Ink

Homework, Good or Bad for You?

Do you get a lot of homework? Well if you do, have you ever thought your grades would be higher with less homework? You should look into it you might get some interesting feedback.

Homework is bad for you. Researchers say it is excessive and counterproductive(Current Events 10/27/06.) The U.S.A has one of the lowest test scores in the whole world because the teachers give high amounts of homework. Homework in high quantities doesn’t pay off. First, teachers say, “the government now requires schools to meet higher-than-ever achievement goals for students. If students don't succeed, the school faces penalties.” Second, many parents want their children to be able to get into the nation's best colleges and universities. These parents believe homework is a way to ensure students are learning at their full capacity.” (Cooper, Harris)

Another issue is that it creates stress. Families see it as an obstacle in their every day life. Kids don’t always get it done because they either don’t understand it-it wasn’t explained enough-, no one knows how to help them do it-parents don’t always understand how to help-, and of course they don’t always want to do homework. Researchers of health say the average homework your supposed to get is ten minutes a night, and most kids end up with an hour or more.

Also activities stay interesting for only so long. Which means students are led to boredom. Homework also denies kids of sports and social activity. “For example, scouting groups and sports teams teach cooperation and leadership, in addition to helping kids stay physically active. Another problem with too much homework is that parents can get too involved. They can put too much pressure on their kids and can confuse them by using different instructional techniques from the teacher's.”(Cooper, Harris)

Homework does teach kids responsibility and good study habits, but what about the important skills you get from sports and social activities. See? That's the issue right there. When you get a lot of homework you don’t want to play the sports, but get it done so your grades stay okay. You can ask almost every kid that plays sports, and I bet nine out of ten would say it’s hard to keep your grades high so you can play sports.

So what do you think should be done? Good homework assignments in the right amount will have positive effects.(Cooper, Harris) Bad homework assignments, or too much, will have the wrong kind of effects. The bottom line: Any kids in grades three through eighth shouldn’t do any more than 30 minutes of homework each night. (Cooper, Harris)

Bibliography
Cooper, Harris. "Kids Get Too Much Homework." Time For Kids volume 12, Issue 810/27/06 6. 12 Nov 2008

.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3

suballah said...
homework is dead

lovergirl said...
i love homework

I know how you feel but my sport season is over so i have more time to study!

henry said...
I have so much homework and so many hours of sports, I don't know what to do. I am getting so stressed out and my teachers just kepp giving us more. I AHTE HOMEWORK!

realistic women you are wrong. the problem with homework is not just kids being lazy. half the time my day is filled up so much i have to stay up till 12 and then finish some on the bus.

wappylol said...
Agreed. Everyone says that we need to exercise more, then they give us so much homework that we CAN'T go outside.

wappylol said...
I do so much homework. My mom turns on the lights so I can see but I think I'm more used to staying up late doing work and I dont need very much light. My mom won't let me turn them off though

Filio said...
Homework causes me way too much stress. I cannot stand being stressed and so I naturally feel that ignoring it would make me feel better.   Obviously this all snowballs, etc etc. I used to be able to handle work in-school as in mostly do homework on the bus or at lunch, but now studies are being forced to home (which I believe to not teaching, more telling you what to do). I'm not nearly learning enough to pass the courses in school from the teachers.   Blah blah blah, I'm just a bad student, whatever.

FierySlayer said...
You are right! I have to stay up till 12 to finish my homework!

I agree with Fanngs

Goolog said...
Homework is the whole reason why I don't want to go to school everyday. I get about an hours worth of homework everyday but end up doing 2-3 hours. It's just too much and after that, I just don't feel mentally right.

ComaTheFreak said...
I'm sorry, but I believe you're wrong. Sure, homework helps learn prioritization, and you're right, practicing by yourself DOES help keep it fresh in the mind, but thats why it's important for teachers to give you time at the end of class, or just after the lesson, so that if you need help, they're right there, and you wont have to ask your parents for help. Do you think you're going to get 'homework' when you're working, during or after you finish school? Nope, because they don't want workers to be stressed with extra work after they finish work. School should be the same way, if you think about it. learn during the lesson, and, only if it's 100% neccesairy, bring the work home to finish  it.

jollygreengiant47 BRONZE, Clovis, California

Gross! -Napoleon Dynamite

And I'm Judy!!-Judy from the Finger legs

I have to kindly disagree.  Homework, though not universally liked, is important. Students learn how to manage time better, with school and sports. Perhaps, students may prioritize time for homework over sports.  Homework reiterates what was taught in the classroom. It's that extra push to help stick a concept in one's mind. I'm a procrastinator, but I can't argue with the fact homework is good. Sure, it can be excrutiatingly boring sometimes, but how the heck do I learn anything if I don't practice by myself?!  If homework is causing a lot of stress, maybe extracurricular activities should cease temporarily, or be pushed to the backseat. I believe it's most important to understand crucial concepts in history, english, math, etc. now while in high school! Besides, learning is fun! :)

DatSaintsBoy said...
I'm afraid this issue is too focused toward students for adults or some students in certain areas to understand. I believe it's not the state or even the school. Some teachers just give overwhelming amounts of homework even though some others don't. It really depends on who your teacher is and how much homework he gives. I do agree, however, that much of the homework I get is useless on the test or quiz we have later in the week. Except for math. Math is all about practice so I understand the nightly homework with that.

bookmouse BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I had a class with a lot of cool group projects that needed out of class time. We wouldn't have been able to do the projects without spending time out of class. One of the biggest problems was coordinating between people outside of class time.  I think I would take an extra hour of school if it meant no (or significantly less) homework, but I don't know how many people agree with me.

bobbby said...
im with jg13

robwalsh123 said...
Im involved in three different sports, i'm in all advance and ap classes and i have a jam packed social life schedule. While homework isnt as unbearable and as 'horrible as it is made out to be, it is a complete waste of time. By highschool most students end up doing their homework the period before the class it is due, which is not good since they problably be paying attention. And when i say most kids i mean moooostttt kids, i have a freind who would have everything done a week before it was given and now with the excessive progects and essays and homework, shes become burnt out and has join the rest of the students who do the homework last minute. Homework does nothing for students, its excessive and does nothing but bring out complaints and groans. However while all of this is true, you problably shouldnt argue against it without a strong sense of how to write a strong argumentive essay. There are many inconsistencies and and you bring up a argument and hardly support it. wanna make a difference, take these ideas, support them with a strong argument and have someone with a good backround in writing, thann post it

jvb23 said...
hey just cause u get good grades doessnt mean everyone else can.

Fanngs said...
Man, I play 4 sports all throughout the year live in the US and have straight A's... To me this reasearch is bullcrap

awsome man said...
i think homework is stupid espsilly if you get stuff you will never need in this world ever. also when you get stuff your parents dont even know