My Story of Resilience in the Face of Medical Ignorance | Teen Ink

My Story of Resilience in the Face of Medical Ignorance

November 10, 2023
By taylomya25 BRONZE, Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin
taylomya25 BRONZE, Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
ars longa vita brevis


Suddenly my skin was victim to a burning sensation, startling me. Bumps emerged, seemingly out of nowhere- one, two, three of them. My initial thought was bug bites, but seconds later the count increased to five. Panic had set in, as these ‘bites’ were spreading rapidly. Convinced it was a bed bug infestation, I leaped out of bed, tossing my bedding into a pile, then throwing it into the washer. Showers, Tylenol, nothing alleviated the relentless burning itch. Desperate, I layed on my freshly washed sheets, bargaining with the universe to grant me relief until I fell into a peaceful sleep.

For years, I had endured waking up sore, pushing through to maintain a fraction of normalcy. However, the following morning of this particular evening was unbearable. I staggered to the medicine cabinet, swallowing Tylenol while telling myself, “It is what it is.” Yet, the agony persisted. Consulting my friend Dr. Google, my conclusion was that I was experiencing hives, not the effects of bug bites- a reaction unfamiliar to me, except for the occasional response to a bee sting.

Assuming the reaction would fade, I dared to go out of the house, as a girl needs to shop. Within an hour my face and ears had swelled, and every movement was excruciating. Fearing the worst, I decided an emergency room trip would be safest. The nurses had dismissed me, assuring that the symptoms would vanish soon. However, the daily recurrence persisted, affecting every aspect of my life. These reactions led to multiple emergency hospital visits, throat closings, fainting spells, and intense pain. It was during one such visit that I encountered the Doctor who would change everything.

A seasoned, no-nonsense figure, he listened attentively as I reiterated my symptoms. Unlike previous encounters, he acknowledged, “Well something is definitely wrong with you.” After a minute spent in thought, he said the words I had been waiting months to hear, “My guess would be an autoimmune issue, probably Lupus. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet I'm not.” Did a doctor just have an idea… about practicing medicine? I was in shock. His acknowledgment gave me the mental strength to keep trudging forward.

Referral in hand, I visited the “ allergy specialist,” Enduring a prohibitively long list of restrictions. Frustrated with a specialist unfamiliar with complexities Beyond a simple bee allergy, I awaited the crucial appointment with my new rheumatologist.

Months later, I found myself in a lemon-scented room with a young, hopeful rheumatologist. within 30 minutes, the Revelation arrived- my cells were attacking one another, causing an allergic reaction… to myself. it had explained years of pain, fatigue, and health issues. The weight of understanding settled, and I reflected on past dismissals from friends, family, and even Medical professionals.

My mother's laughter at my pain, doctors labeling me a hypochondriac, and dismissals of my disease being labeled as stress and a dramatization suddenly became inconsequential. Everyone thought it was funny that the preteen spoke of back pain, laughing at the 14-year-old who complained of knee pain, rolling their eyes at the 16-year-old saying they were too sore to go to the water park. Now I could finally tell them all to go to hell.

Over the course of nine months, I underwent 23 blood draws, 36 blood tests, and seven urine tests. I visited four hospitals and encountered 14 doctors- 11 of whom thought I was crazy. I had collapsed and waiting rooms, I was ignored, excluded, and in constant pain.

Advocating for myself became one of the hardest battles of my life. Confronting professionals, having to convince people my pain was real, and refusing the psych consultations that doctors insisted I needed- because how could a woman- yet alone a young woman feel real pain?

The battle was long but worth fighting for. Unveiling the truth about my health helped me to better understand myself. To respect my body and my mind even more. Even though there is no cure- and recently my treatment did fail, my spirits have not weakened. Now that I know my truth, it has made my journey easier.

There is no cure, and that is okay. Invisible illnesses in women, such as autoimmune disorders, are often overlooked. Women go to medical professionals, and their symptoms are pushed off as psychological issues. I had to fight alongside millions of other women for my diagnosis, something no person should have to do. My story represents the millions of women showing resilience in the face of medical ignorance.


The author's comments:

I hope my story will help to encourage others to advocate for themselves and their health.