Shatter the Silence: The effects of Mental Health stigma in South Asian Culture | Teen Ink

Shatter the Silence: The effects of Mental Health stigma in South Asian Culture

By adeurita BRONZE, New York City, New York
adeurita BRONZE, New York City, New York

In the hushed corridors of South Asian households, an unspoken secret prevails—one that has lingered for generations, casting shadows on the well-being of countless individuals. Mental health, once considered a topic too taboo to broach, remains in the clutches of stigma within these communities. Yet, hidden within the folds of cultural heritage lies a growing movement of change, an awakening that seeks to bring light to the darkness of mental health stigma.

Mental health is one of the biggest issues of our time, especially in countries outside of South Asian countries, such as Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan. However, even with 5.4 million South Asians living in the United States, mental health still holds its significance as a taboo subject. The South Asian Public Health Association stated that “1 in 5 US South Asians report experiencing a mood or anxiety disorder in their lifetime.”

Within South Asian culture, collectivist values hold a strong stand, making holding boundaries much more difficult. Based on societal and family norms in the culture, there has always been more focus on tending to others' needs than their own. The idea of "self-care" is deemed selfish, which forces individuals within that culture to put more priority on their duty of caring for others.

Starting from as early as fourth grade, South Asian children across generations have always experienced tremendous academic pressure. For South Asian parents, their substantial source of pride derives from their children's success. While such pressure has led many South Asians to be successful, it results in many negative side effects that can permanently damage their future lives. “South Asian children are conditioned to believe that they aren't supposed to ever feel down, so there is no such thing as feeling negative emotions other than trying to compete with someone else," Brototi Biswas said.

Biswas is a millennial victim of mental health stigma. Across generations, most, if not all, individuals of South Asian background neglect their mental health, resulting in emotional fatigue that can lead to physical fatigue as well. The continuation of this emotional neglect can lead to permanent issues that affect other aspects of one's life, such as their career and family life. 

"I started to have anxiety that I would have any episode of nausea which could embarrass me. But I always thought I was just overreacting since that's what I was told,” said Brototi. 

“And gradually over time, the anxiety turned into panic disorder to the point now I panic about panicking, which is greatly affecting my physical health, mental health, or even basic day-to-day activities like going to the store or the gym or work." Many factors may contribute to the lack of connection between South Asian parents and their children, such as growing up with different cultural norms, language, and the acceptance of independence. However, the major factor that contributes between generations is their lack of communication. The older generations held the ideology that seeking help for oneself is wrong, igniting fear among the young generations. 

"Since childhood, I wanted to be a professional athlete, but my dad was really against it, and every time I would perform slightly questionable, he would always tell me to quit soccer,” Swapnil Tsali, a member of Generation Z and victim of mental health stigma, said. “I would always get insulted by the person I would look up to the most." 

Many behaviors that are noticed now as signs of stress, would often be overlooked in South Asian communities. The cultural taboo surrounding feeling unwell either physically or mentally ignited a fear of being seen as "weak."

“I questioned my existence, and my side effects were that I lost a lot of weight. I became less confident about myself. Despite how terrible my situation was, I was always afraid to tell my family about it,” Labib Mahmud said about his experience dealing with mental health.

To decrease the stigma that prevents children from talking about their feelings with parents, awareness must be raised around the issue. Based on statistics, a mere 34.1% of South Asian Americans have sought treatment, highlighting the widespread nature of the prevailing perception of mental health within the community. “Recently, the newer generation is starting to pay more attention to mental health. They ask their child about their personal interests more,” Tsali expressed. 

In recent years, there has been a notable improvement in mental health awareness in everyday places such as schools and workplaces. The once-ingrained stigma surrounding mental health within South Asian communities has gradually reduced, leading to more open conversations and acceptance of emotional well-being. Schools have made strides in addressing the mental health needs of South Asian students by providing culturally sensitive counseling services and mental health resources. 

Educators are also being trained to recognize signs of distress and create supportive environments that foster emotional growth. Similarly, workplaces are taking proactive measures to support the mental health of South Asian employees, understanding the challenges they may face due to cultural norms and pressures. Companies are offering employee assistance programs tailored to the needs of South Asians, organizing mental health workshops, and promoting work-life balance. “With mental health becoming more of a priority and families adapting to newer parenting techniques, I think it's possible for this stereotype to fade away,” Mahmud concluded.

The stigma surrounding mental health in South Asian communities has left remarkable impacts on individuals' well-being and society. The deeply ingrained taboo has historically closed off open discussions and prevented many from seeking help for their mental health concerns. As a result, countless individuals have endured emotional suffering in silence, leading to heightened stress, anxiety, and depression. 

The reluctance to address mental health issues and seek appropriate care has led to delayed interventions and, in some cases, worsened conditions. The collective cultural pressure to prioritize the needs of others over one's own can exacerbate feelings of emotional fatigue and prevent individuals from engaging in self-care practices. However, with increasing awareness, there is hope for a brighter future. By breaking down the stigma and fostering a more accepting environment, South Asian individuals can seek help when necessary, and embrace emotional well-being as an integral part of a healthy and fulfilling life.

Addrita Biswas is of South Asian background and is currently a Junior at Manhattan Center for Sciences and Mathematics. She is an aspiring STEM student who holds a passion for expressing her in-depth thoughts through writing. She enjoys being a leader for creative clubs at her High School, listening to music, sketching, coding, and, of course, establishing herself as a writer.