When Does Anxiety Become a Problem? | Teen Ink

When Does Anxiety Become a Problem?

By haoyuzhang BRONZE, Beijing, Other
haoyuzhang BRONZE, Beijing, Other

“Where is your group’s report? It’s only five minutes till the deadline. How long do you still want to wait?” I woke up from the urging of Ms Jane, our economic teacher. I fumbled for my phone and checked the time, 3:30a.m. It’s hard to tell how many times this month I've woken up from bad dreams. Hadn’t recovered from the dream, I heard the quilt roll off the bed. It was my roommate in the lower bunk sitting up violently. “What’s wrong?” “I dreamt that I missed the deadline for the psychology project”

According to the article, me and my roommates have shown constant insomnia that fit the symptoms of problematic anxiety, which is categorized as a kind of mental disorder, but not normal reaction of human body to heavy pressure.

What makes a normal body reaction pathological? Pathological pursuit leads to abnormal mental reaction. Classmates around me and myself have been so obsessed with getting high scores that we prioritize the possibility to get a high score but not academic interest while selecting courses, as if the scores are the only thing that embody our progression during high school and who we are. Now, we are even teetering on the brink of mental illness. Terribly, this phenomenon is common among students all over the world. So, it’s time to reconsider what is the most valuable thing in our lives.

Symptoms of mental disorder could be relieved by a variety of medical and mental therapies. But We must rid our minds of false attachments in order to truly get rid of pathological anxiety. to go back to the original purpose of growth, I believe, the courage to face challenge, passion for living, the persistence in adversity, those properties that build our personalities matters way more than high school transcript to our personal growth.

The author is a 17 year old senior high student from Beijing. She is half mongolian by ancestry, and is committed to linguistic and cultural diversity in all its forms. In 2023,  she was struggling to apply for university and began to think about the true meaning of growth.