Smoking Bans: Are They Justified? | Teen Ink

Smoking Bans: Are They Justified?

By rdesai26 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
rdesai26 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey

Imagine if you were enjoying your day and all of a sudden you inhale some smoke. You cannot stop coughing and you hate the smell of smoke. Once you are finally able to calm down, you start to wonder why smoking is allowed even though there are civilians walking around. The issue currently many people could be put in harm after inhaling smoke. Therefore, a smoking ban is justified because smoke is dangerous to other people in the area and it can help people stop smoking and prevent the rate of teenagers vaping/smoking.

A big problem with smoking is that it is dangerous to other people in the area, not just the person smoking. “Non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke in an indoor setting increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25-30%”( Bloodworth 2). These diseases are not  like a regular disease where you can take some medicine and you’ll be fine. These are serious diseases like cancer which can lead to heart failure. “Smokin is very harmful for many parts of the human body including the lungs”(Siegel 3). You could start coughing a lot and potentially even have long term lung problems if you inhale a good amount of smoke. The most common lung disease you could have after inhaling a lot of smoke is lung cancer. Some people who inhale second hand smoke may already have a lung disease and having smoke enter their body would definitely not help with that.

The rate of high schoolers vaping has increased dramatically. Vaping is just smoking, but the air you inhale is flavored. A big misconception is that vaping isn’t very dangerous for you, because it tastes just like candy and we all love candy. This is not true though. Vaping is very dangerous for your lungs and it contains nicotine which is very addictive. Smoking bans would also mean vaping bans which means the rate of high schoolers vaping will increase. Smoking is also very addictive and the longer you smoke the worse your addiction will get. Which is why bans are necessary to prevent the rate of addiction. Because if we keep giving places for people to smoke they won’t stop. On the other hand, some believe that addiction can be stopped by going to therapy and talking to somebody. The problem with this is that teenagers can be very stubborn, so if they don’t want to go to therapy it would be very hard to convince them.

As it has become clear to see, smoking bans are justified and they would be very helpful. It has become clear with the rate of vaping/smoking increasing that people don’t understand how dangerous this stuff really is. People who are just enjoying their day should not be put in harm just because somebody wants to smoke a cigarette or vape. 

My name is Ridham and I wrote this article for my 8th grade English class.