cancer patients | Teen Ink

cancer patients

By rr437000 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
rr437000 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

you might have about cancer by now. Cancer refers to any one of a large number of diseases characterized by the development of abnormal cells that divide uncontrollably and have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue. A lot of people have died cause of this disease and the worst part is that there are different types of cancer such as Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Acute Myeloid Leukemia, AIDS-Related Cancers and so much more, and ever since covid 19 happened it has gotten a lot worse. Two studies published yesterday in The Lancet indicate a high rate of mortality among COVID-19 patients who also have cancer. In one study, US researchers analyzed data on more than 900 COVID-19 and cancer patients from the United States, Canada, and Spain and found that 13% died. In the other study, an analysis of 800 UK patients with COVID-19 and cancer found that 28% died. The studies also found that male patients with other COVID-19 mortality risk factors, such as older age and additional comorbidities, had an increased risk of death. But cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy, did not appear to have an effect on mortality in either study. The two studies are the largest to date to examine how cancer patients, who are often older, immunocompromised, and have high levels of contact with the healthcare system, are affected by SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Initial reports have suggested cancer patients, especially those receiving treatment, are at increased risk from the disease.

If you want to donate to cancer patients that need your help visit:

cancer.org/involved/donate.html

cancerresearch.org/join-the-cause/donate

and if you need more info visit:

cancer.gov/

rr437000 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I want to spread awareness about cancer and what is going on since covid has started.