Turn Down the Heat | Teen Ink

Turn Down the Heat

May 13, 2008
By Anonymous

Turn down the Heat


As children we grow up in need of lots of attention and mature into adults who are less appreciative of what was offered to us. This egotistical practice has occurred in many past generations and has finally caught up to our generation. While technology has become more advanced, so has the raise in pollution and greenhouse gases. The increase in greenhouse gases and our nonchalant way of thinking has ultimately caused the rapid augment of our civilizations downfall. Global warming will ultimately destroy humanity, unless we ban together and prohibit it’s continuation.

Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of Earth’s near-surface air. For the last hundred years, global warming has steadily increase mainly due to our society’s many changes and advances. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has concluded that, “the increase in our globally averaged temperatures is likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic (man-made) greenhouse gases concentrations”. The global warming expansion well cause sea level rise and is expected to increase the intensity of extreme weather events and to change the amount and pattern of precipitation. Global warming could also effect agricultural yields, trading problems, glacier retreat, species extinctions, and wide range diseases.

The vast chaos global warming could cause is undeniably frightening to the younger generations of our world. We as younger citizens are looking forward to our futures and don’t necessarily want to deal with the fact the global warming could kill us. Another scary factor for our younger generations is that our world is so heavily segregated between nations, that it is hard to believe that a world-wide task like this could ever be accomplished. However, if all put aside our egos and ban together, we could save ourselves and better our cultural relations.

Global warming can be stopped, but many aspects of the fight need to be addressed. I propose that we first educate people about global warming and express the dangers of it’s continuation. We as a society need to get involved with the political aspects of global warming. The McCain Lieberman Climate Stewardship and Innovation Act would set a firm limit on carbon dioxide emissions and then use free market incentives to lower costs, promote efficiency, and create innovation. This act could provide us with the needed advertising money for the fight against global warming. I think this act will educate the younger generations and remind the older generations of what we will lose as a result of global warming.

I believe people must have a stronger commitment from their governments in order to stop global warming and implement solutions. I would like our government to propose an act that will limit an industrial factory’s carbon dioxide emissions by setting a limited quota the industries can not go over and supply punishments if the act is disobeyed. I would also like the manufacturers of hybrid cars to lower their prices for the cars, so that the average middle class worker can also contribute. Lower the prices may hurt some economies, but it will lower the pollution gases that is causing global warming. I believe that average people can also make small contributions by recycling and donating money to the cause.

Global warming is a silent killer that could easily end our humanity like any other violent weapons. However, we as humans of this world can stop global warming by just joining together and supporting the cause. We should not dwell on the mistakes of our greedy past, but should fight for the opportunity of a future.

Work Cited
www.wikipedia.com
www.teenik.com
www.google.com/globalwarming