Walruses | Teen Ink

Walruses

By zacharydinan PLATINUM, New York, New York
zacharydinan PLATINUM, New York, New York

Maximilian, it was Edmond Dantes! (M. Morrel)

The major environmental issue currently revolves around global warming, but there have been many debates concerning the validity of global warming. Some people think its false and a rumor, while others devote their lives to stopping it. But proof of this unnatural disaster caused by human civilization is very evident through charts showing increasing temperature changes and many other factors that are affected by it. Excess production of cars, pollution produced by factories, and litter cause global warming. With or without knowing it, most people indirectly support global warming. Through supply and demand we allow and persuade companies and factories to continue their pollutant cycle that damages the environment. Global warming causes changes in normal climate temperature, causing polar icecaps to melt and therefore leads to the killing of many animals. With the increasingly hotter temperature in polar areas, animals such as polar bears, walruses, and many other arctic species have much less land to live on, and have an environment that was once very stable, constantly changing. In addition to the loss of very valued species in the world, the melting of these polar icecaps raise the water level of the oceans, drastically increasing the rate of erosion of costs and islands. Other effects on the earth from global warming are the increasing concentration of greenhouse gases, resulting from deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels to make oil. As cars need oil to function, the masses of cars used throughout the world are hurting the environment. Global warming, with its changes in climate and the destruction of many species, is a major political and social issue for countries throughout the world.

But there are many ways to fix this problem. I humbly propose my effective solution. Global warming really started to escalate at around the 1940’s. So, if we once again adapt to the 1930’s lifestyle, we could erase global warming. Using Baldwin Trucking and Bulldozing Co., we can wipe out the skyline of skyscrapers covering major cities like New York, Hong Kong, London, and so on. This will probably cost $6,587,200 American. Systems of government can remain, but economical institutions that hadn’t been created before 1940 must be shut down. To ensure of this process, assign Janet Napolitano, the head of homeland security of the Unites States of America. With the modern business organizations and skyscrapers eliminated from view, we can focus on more important matters summed up in one word: cars. Though cars in the 1930’s were much more gas-guzzling, there were many fewer of them and therefore didn’t produce nearly as much greenhouse gases as the sum of modern cars today. On this subject, we can eliminate all cars except and replace them with hybrid mopeds. These produce much less greenhouse gases and take less space and gas. Despite the change in lifestyle, I also suggest the destruction of all planes and steam and gas-run ships. Though the only way to get across sea will be to go on a nuclear battle ship, we will be helping human kind in the long run. Well, at least this is what Obama wants to do. I guess in drastic situations we might turn to making all cars hybrids, changing electrical bulbs, enforce littering laws, and decrease the number of cars produced while increasing the price in gas, as this will persuade people to not use their cars as much. But these are minor suggestions that probably won’t do anything unlike Obama’s master plan.

burningembers GOLD, Union City, Ohio
This is a well written piece, but I agree with Elverdad.  There is plenty of proof against global warming.

That is completely wrong. You should make sure your sources are correct, not false like everything else you are saying. And yes, while temperature change is natural and a earth process, human pollution has sped up this increase of temperature rapidly. If the temperature of the earth is cooling, why are polar ice caps melting that have existed for hundreds of years before human society boomed and industrialized? Just some thoughts to consider when you so harshly judge facts that have been proven by environmental groups.

ElVerdad said...
Sorry to burst your bubble but its now proven that the "proof" behind global temperature increases is false and inacurate. In fact, the earth is currently in a cooling cycle. Also keep in mind that Temperarure change is a very natural and normal earth process, its been happening since the begining.