Global Warming’s Effect on Our Earth | Teen Ink

Global Warming’s Effect on Our Earth

By TysonHill BRONZE, Cascade, Iowa
TysonHill BRONZE, Cascade, Iowa

Abstract - Whether one sides with the right, the left, independents, or has no political opinion, everyone has a belief on the topic of global warming and its effects; some even believe it can’t be real. Despite one’s viewpoint, the effects of global warming are inarguable. Rising sea levels, increasingly intense forest fires, air quality, and resource supply are all scientifically proven impacts of global warming. Sea levels are rising at alarmingly high rates. Air quality is declining rapidly. Resources are becoming scarcer. Luckily for the globe’s inhabitants, there are solutions to these issues. Things like carbon capture and renewable energy are viable options to slow and even reverse the effects of global warming. Unfortunately, everyone knows what global warming is, but too few acknowledge the harm it causes.

Keywords: Global warming, carbon capture, fossil fuels

I. Introduction

According to “Overview: Weather, Global Warming, and Climate Change,” “Global warming is the long-term heating of Earth’s climate system observed since the pre-industrial period (between 1850 and 1900) due to human activities, primarily fossil fuel burning, which increases heat-trapping greenhouse gas levels in Earth’s atmosphere.” Though scientists proved the effects of global warming in the 19th century, the topic of is it real or not? is still discussed today (“Climate Change Evidence: How Do We Know?”). Our Earth has been so drastically affected by global warming that if nothing is done to protect the planet, the effects will be completely irreversible within twenty years. Ninety scientists from over forty countries have concluded that  Earth’s atmosphere will rise 1.5 degrees Celsius by the year 2040 if no protective action is taken; this rise would have devastating consequences (Turrentine). The main cause of global warming is the emission of greenhouse gases, defined as “gases that trap heat in the atmosphere” (“Overview of Greenhouse Gases”). Though the effects of global warming have damaged our planet, there are solutions that can slow and even reverse the negative effects it has caused on our Earth.

II. What Really Is Global Warming?

As previously stated, global warming is the warming of Earth’s atmosphere due to human activities and greenhouse gases. When fossil fuels such as crude oil, coal, and petroleum are burned to create energy, carbon dioxide is emitted into the atmosphere, thus trapping heat inside. As these non-renewable resources are burned, the warming effect, commonly known as the greenhouse effect, multiplies and further damages the environment. These effects are very harmful for our planet, contributing to air pollution and rising sea levels.

III. What Harm is Caused?

Not only does the Earth’s atmosphere heat up, but other issues are also greatly affected. Air quality decreases with the increasing amount of gas in the air: “The annual average concentration of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) across China was 57 micrograms per meter cubed in 2017, nearly six times what the World Health Organization deems to be acceptable limits” (Qin). Having such poor-quality air can lead to human-suffering from negative effects such as increased cancer rates, cardiovascular system failure, and decreased heart function (“Spare the Air Every Day”).

Even our water is suffering due to the warming of our climate. According to Freedman and Mooney,

From the thin ice shield covering most of the Arctic Ocean to the mile-thick mantle of the polar ice sheets, ice losses have soared from about 760 billion tons per year in the 1990s to more than 1.2 trillion tons per year in the 2010s, a new study released Monday shows. That is an increase of more than 60 percent, equating to 28 trillion tons of melted ice in total — and it means that roughly 3 percent of all the extra energy trapped within Earth’s system by climate change has gone toward turning ice into water. (Freedman and Mooney)

Decreasing ice sheets essentially means decreasing air-conditioning for the planet. The polar ice caps are responsible for both cooling the air around them and reflecting sunlight. When air comes in contact with the ice, the temperature of the air decreases. With declining ice levels, the cooling effect is coming to a halt. Without the cooling process, temperatures continue to increase. Global warming is destroying the environment and slowly killing the human race.

IV. How Can Global Warming be Combatted?
            Despite the harm global warming has caused to Earth, there are actions possible to stop the damage from advancing and even reverse its effects.
            Carbon capture and storage (CCS) is the process of capturing and storing carbon dioxide (CO2) before it is released into the atmosphere… CO2 could also be used to produce       commercially marketable products. This is commonly known as carbon capture storage and utilization (CCSU) (What Is Carbon Capture and Storage and What Role Can It Play    in Tackling Climate Change?).
If humans are able to capture the carbon dioxide emitted by their industry before it damages the atmosphere, the effects of global warming will naturally regress. Though it would be a slow process, carbon capture is a strong option in the battle against global warming. Not only can we capture and store the emitted gases, but they can be put to practical use as well:
The most well-established form of CO2 utilization is enhanced oil recovery (EOR), where       CO2 is injected into oil and gas reservoirs to increase their extraction. Other forms of       CO2 utilization are still under investigation. These include using CO2 in concrete or      plastic materials or converting it into biomass – for example, by feeding CO2 to algae,   which are then harvested and processed into biofuel for transport (What Is Carbon Capture and Storage and What Role Can It Play in Tackling Climate Change?).
By using the already-produced carbon dioxide, it stops the gas from damaging the Earth and it can be used to aid in other processes. (“What Is Carbon Capture and Storage and What Role Can It Play in Tackling Climate Change?”).
V. Conclusion

Global warming is a real-life issue, intensifying with every day. The effects of global warming are known, fossil fuels are continued to be pumped into the atmosphere, the environment continues to be destroyed, and the viable solutions are still ignored. Action must be taken to let Earth return to its healthy state. Change is human’s manufacturing industry has to happen before the effects become irreversible. There is no one to blame for global warming but humans, meaning they are responsible for fixing it before it is too late.

Works Cited

“Climate Change Evidence: How Do We Know?” NASA, NASA, 20 Sept. 2022, climate.nasa.gov/evidence/#:~:text=In%201896%2C%20a%20seminal%20paper,Earth's%20atmosphere%20to%20global%20warming.

Freedman, Andrew, and Chris Mooney. “Earth Is Now Losing 1.2 Trillion Tons of Ice Each Year. and It's Going to Get Worse.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 27 Jan. 2021, washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/25/ice-melt-quickens-greenland-glaciers/.  

“Global Warming.” National Geographic Society, National Geographic Society, 20 May 2022, education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/global-warming.

“Overview of Greenhouse Gases.” EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, 16 May 2022, epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases.

“Overview: Weather, Global Warming and Climate Change.” NASA, NASA, 26 Sept. 2022, climate.nasa.gov/global-warming-vs-climate-change/.

Qin, Hu. “How China Is Tackling Air Pollution with Tech and Big Data.” World Economic Forum, 10 February 2021, weforum.org/agenda/2021/02/china-tackling-air-pollution-big-data/#:~:text=This%20represented%20significant%20progress%2C%20but,deems%20to%20be%20acceptable%20limits.

“Spare the Air Every Day.” Who's at Risk, Spare the Air, 2019, sparetheair.org/understanding-air-quality/air-pollutants-and-health-effects/whos-at-risk#:~:text=Poor%20air%20quality%20can%20irritate,can%20cause%20more%20serious%20problems.

Turrentine, Jeff. “Climate Scientists to World: We Have Only 20 Years before There's No Turning Back.” NRDC, Natural Resources Defense Council, 11 Apr. 2022, nrdc.org/onearth/climate-scientists-world-we-have-only-20-years-theres-no-turning-back.

“What Is Carbon Capture and Storage and What Role Can It Play in Tackling Climate Change?” Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment, Grantham Research Institute, 14 Jan. 2021, lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/explainers/what-is-carbon-capture-and-storage-and-what-role-can-it-play-in-tackling-climate-change/.

This research paper is about the effects of global warming and how we can combat it.