Famine | Teen Ink

Famine

Earlier this year I was able to experience something that made me look at the world a little bit differently. My church group and I participated in World Vision's 30 hour famine. In case you don't know about this organization, they help to feed third world countries. In the 30 hour famine we didn't eat for 30 hours while learning about the hunger crisis. One of the main parts of this weekend was the community service project. Our church purchased a Gleaners truck that distributes food to those who need it. I got to see just how close the hunger crisis hits home. There were so many people who showed up I almost didn't believe it. I figured the food we had would be plenty, with left overs. I was wrong. We had to turn people away because of how many people showed up. It was hard to believe. Taking part in this project really opened my eyes to what is around me. You don't need to be in a place like Africa to be hungry. Hunger could be right in your back yard. All you have to do is open your eyes and see it. I plan on participating in this project again. I like knowing I can make a difference, not only in my neighborhood, but around the world too.