A friend | Teen Ink

A friend

By whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California

It’s a rainy Saturday afternoon, and most of my friends are watching TV or on Facebook, but my friend Shayna and I are serving lunch at a home for the elderly with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Volunteering is very important to me and I love talking to all the residents about Passover or Purim or the last holiday. I love talking to Jack who wants to know how I will earn money if I work for free and can speak six different languages. Many of the residents seem like they don’t have Alzheimer’s until you have the same conversation with them three times. Many of the residents have some amazing stories to tell; like Jack who was born in Greece and moved to New York, or Bob who owns a sports museum. Many of the residents want you to sit with them and listen, or tell them about your life. The residents just want a friend.

I love volunteering

Cheekymonkey GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”

this is really nice :) I agree the first sentance is a bit out of place though :D otherwise great job

writingchick GOLD, Huntington, Indiana

"Faith is taking another step without seeing the entire staircase."

That's so sweet! :)

iDogrocker said...
iDogrocker, Lebanon, Oregon
This is a great piece. The only thing that kind of stuck out of place was the first sentence. It didn't flow as well as it could have. Good luck!