I am not an adult. But I do have power. And I am a fighter. | Teen Ink

I am not an adult. But I do have power. And I am a fighter.

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

Do you know what it feels like to have a trauma you don't remember? I have blocked out trauma of nature I cannot type because of it. writing this is triggering. my high school has literal pornography in its halls. That triggers me. 

Triggers are not just flashbacks, it is very hard to explain how it feels. Those paintings trigger me. And obviously, that is a common trigger for a lot of people. And what about things showing violence or abuse in a public place(not triggers for me, but common triggers). it is a school. it is a public place and i have to be there. but it is triggering. And i would guess I'm not the only person in the school triggered by it. so why on earth don't we speak up? doing so is also triggering, but there is nothing to protect us, and we cant protect ourselves. we are victims. there should be a law there. but how could there be? it's triggering to speak up. so it's a catch 22. and yet, at some point, i just snapped. i didn't care anymore. we had tried to get it taken down so many times, and so many times were refused. so with tears streaming down my face i wrote an email that sparked a little change. i explained why i hadn't spoken before and plainly said that it was triggering. and now there is a policy being considered to rotate art, which means it may be taken down. 

mental health, specifically trauma-based disorders, is one of the things I'm passionate about. right now I've got 2 causes I'm ready to do battle over (North Korea's evil and this). and i don't just care about the triggers for myself. there should be a law that says that public places like schools or public library cannot have common triggers, and if someone required to attend often, like a student or employee, has a more obscure trigger if they tell whoever in charge that it is triggering(even if saying it is triggering a lot of obscure unforeseeable triggers couldn't be premeditated) then it has to come down. when we can't defend ourselves and can't advocate for ourselves we shouldn't have to deal with things like this. also, private places like museums should have common trigger warnings over halls or wings with offensive material, and movies should have trigger warnings on the cover. articles and youtube videos would be impossible to regulate, though maybe if we created a culture where that was the norm it wouldn't be an issue(which isn't something the government can do).

Trauma isn't funny. Triggering people isn't acceptable. We are people too. We are valid. We have rights. It is not our fault, and we should not have to suffer. We are the victims, and triggers are only perpetuating pain.

Please put this on social media or share it or something. I am strong and i live in America at a time when women are empowered. i can absolutely get this law passed, but in a politician's mind, the people are what matter. If a lot of people back this then they are more likely to agree. I hope to create a movement, sort of like the black lives matter, so people with trauma will be protected. Literally all you need to do to help is share this. and you have a voice, no matter your age, gender, or race. and that means you have power. You have the chance to use it to defend the voiceless and defenseless. Please use it.

Sidenote: i speak from my own experiences. i cannot speak for everyone with trauma, and I'm sure some people can discuss their triggers. in my experience, it is very difficult. i doubt i am the only one. i am speaking up because of who i am: empowered. strong. because they managed to push me to a breaking point and i am hecking tired of people having to struggle with triggers in everyday life. 

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

uhum i think im crying. thank you so much, you inspired me to try and read and comment more stuff. i also mentiond you(and totally misspelled ur user) in the whachmacalit of one of my interwoven wolves posts

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

@Sparrowsun, you are right to draw a distinction between the frivolous "triggers" that people joke about, and actual offensive and obscene content (like pornography, which is unacceptable in any time at any place). I heard you say that you were ready to give up writing a series because nobody read it or commented. I know that feeling well. Please don't. Just don't. You don't know what a beautiful writer you are. When I handed my dad a story and he promised to read it but didn't, I flew off the handle and wanted to shred everything I'd written. Don't do that. You shouldn't say "I won't write that because they won't like it." Find people you know who will care and give you valuable feedback, and if they won't, then never mind them. Stand up for yourself and your gifts. I check TeenInk and give comments about every day. I'll try to make more comments on yer stuff. :)