The Shadow in the Basement | Teen Ink

The Shadow in the Basement

August 9, 2024
By Pini BRONZE, Colombo, Other
Pini BRONZE, Colombo, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

So, last night was, like, the freakiest night ever. It all started when my parents decided to go out for dinner, leaving me alone at home. I was all excited about having the house to myself. I could play video games, eat junk food, and do whatever I wanted. But then, the basement door creaked open all by itself.

Now, our basement is, like, super creepy. It's dark, smells weird, and I swear I always feel like something's watching me down there. So, when that door opened on its own, I was like, "Nope, not going down there!" But curiosity got the best of me, and I grabbed a flashlight and headed down the stairs.

Every step I took made this weird echoing noise, and I could hear the old wood creaking under my feet. When I got to the bottom, I shined my flashlight around, but everything seemed normal. Just a bunch of dusty boxes, old furniture, and a bunch of spider webs. I was about to leave when I heard a soft whisper.

It sounded like it was coming from the far corner of the basement. I slowly walked over there, my heart pounding in my chest. When I got closer, I saw a shadow moving. I froze. There was no one else in the house but me. I pointed the flashlight at the shadow, but there was nothing there. The shadow was still moving, though, like it was alive.

Then, the whispering got louder. It was like a bunch of voices all talking at once, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. My heart was racing, and I was shaking so bad I could barely hold the flashlight. Suddenly, the shadow darted toward me, and the lights in the basement went out.

I screamed and ran up the stairs as fast as I could. I slammed the basement door shut and locked it, my heart still pounding. I didn’t sleep at all that night. I just sat there, staring at the basement door, waiting for something to come out.

When my parents got home, I told them what happened, but they just laughed and said I had too much sugar. But I know what I saw. And now, every time I hear that basement door creak, I’m scared it’s going to open again.