The Unkown Caller | Teen Ink

The Unkown Caller

It all started when Mary made the call. To take a step back, Mary was an eighteen-year-old girl born and raised in Lindenhurst, New York. She had two older brothers and by this time both had moved to different states. Her parents eventually moved to Manhattan, New York, and Mary would occasionally visit them. She had a rather good relationship with all her family members. For school she went to Island Drafting and Technical Institute in Amityville, New York. She lived in apartments in Lindenhurst which was convenient since it was near the institute. Amityville is known for the Amityville murders that occurred in the “haunted” Amityville house of horror. However, that did not bother her; Lindenhurst is fairly close to Amityville, and she heard the Amityville horror stories a few too many times.   

One day she and her friends decided to hangout for the day. They went to the movies, shopping, had a picnic, and went to a concert in the evening. Mary then invited everyone over to her place to play some games and watch their favorite classic movie. They ended up playing several games and watched The Amityville Horror. At this time, it was evening, and they then remembered something they did back in grade school. They used to call their own number from their cell phone. Nothing ever happened, but they would do it for the adrenaline rush. They remembered how much fun they had doing it and decided it would be interesting to do it again. 

They then each took turns calling their own numbers and obviously did not even get a ring. When it came time for Mary to call her number, she dialed her number, and it rang. Everyone got excited even though they thought there was no way someone would be on the other end. It rang one more time and then, “Hello, Mariam” came through the speaker of her phone. She quickly hung up and the fun was over. Nobody had called her Mariam for a long time. That is her full name, but everyone calls her Mary. Everyone was a bit shook up but eventually brushed it off. 

The following days after the call weird things started happening. At this point Mary did not want to be in her house, especially at night. She would hear poundings that sounded like they were coming from the walls. Drawers and doors would close by themselves. She would also hear whispers and struggled to sleep at night. She felt as if someone was always watching her and at night like someone was pulling her. She told her family and parents, but they told her she was just being paranoid. Her friends told her it was probably only the call that was making her delusional. 

She went to a doctor and wanted to know if it was just her or maybe it was something more than that. She got assigned a therapist which did not help at all. She could not go on normally with her daily life anymore. One night she woke up and she had scratches on her arm. She knew that she was definitely not just making things up. She then remembered the Amityville Horror store and was wondering if something similar happened in her apartment. She asked the landlord of the place, and he said the previous owners did see things and felt as if it was haunted. He said it did not bother him and that it was not true. Mary still did not feel safe there. She was still confused about what the phone call had to do with all of this but decided to just move to a different place. After she moved, everything stopped, but sometimes she would have flashbacks and wonder who or what was behind that. 

This is a short story that was inspired by the true story of the Amityville house.