Red | Teen Ink

Red

Everyone dies. No one can live forever, that is the sad truth people realize. The moment you are born the countdown to your death begins. For some, that's a long time, others not so much. You can’t “save a life” you only prolong it. That’s what Nico realized on December 5th.   

This day was no other. It was a cold Friday night after school hours. Dungeons & Dragons came to a close in Mr. Jacklyn's classroom.  The group wondered where their seventh member, Simon, had disappeared too. Their decision to split up and look for him, Nico slowly opening the storage room door, not expecting to find something horrifying.  

Nico walked into a runny, hot, liquid. The small search for his friend Simon came to a horrifying end when Nico flicked the light switch upwards. The terrified look in his eyes as they adjust to the light and the thoughts in his head as he realizes what had happened. The hopes that this was an awful, sick joke. 

He slowly steps to the body, hoping that it isn’t true. His voice only mustered a micro sound as if he would get an answer. His thoughts raced, and his body stayed frozen, unable to move as though he was paralyzed. 

As Nico attempted to move his own body, his twin, Naomi, entered the room, and her face grew pale. She looked to have questions but couldn’t say them, silence from the twins. Until finally, Naomi spoke.

“Nico?”

“Yeah?” Nico mustered, hearing his voice crack. 

“Please tell me that’s not-” 

“It is.” 

“Did you…?”  

“Nope.” 

The next few minutes were silent. The twins gave looks as if they were talking, they call it their special language. Looking around the small cramped room filled with cleaning supplies Nico noticed a small piece of bright red cloth, like it was ripped off of some clothing. 

Naomi ran out of the room to get the others. As the rest of the group entered, the initial shock died down, and they left the crowded closet. Everyone had questions yet no one had answers. Nico examined his friends, none had red clothes on. They all looked the same as before he found the lifeless body. 

Amber, the true girly girl of the group, was wearing a purple blouse and a black knee-high skirt with silver flats. Her hair was down with its ginger waves, and complementing her green eyes. She had woken up late this morning and didn’t do her makeup. 

Max, our prep, had a blue turtleneck and cream slacks. His green box-dyed hair slicked back, and brown eyes gave him an approachable look. He had a debate for class president so this was one of his more dressed-up days. 

In her basketball jersey, Riley's pinkish-purple hair tied back into a ponytail. Her hazel eyes glittered, and was always ready to play her favorite sports. Though she never really put school first she always had passing grades so she could play in games and be with her friends. 

Lina, in her black oversized sweatshirt and white sweatpants. Her unbrushed hair fell down her back just to her torso. The bags under her eyes from lack of sleep, still dwelling on the divorce of her parents. Even when she went to stay with the twins she still couldn’t sleep. 

Naomi is in her normal collared shirt,  colorful tie, and black jeans. Her black hair fell just to her shoulders. Her black eyeliner and silver eyeshadow complemented her dark skin, making her Vitiligo pop—something that she and her brother loved about themselves. 

Finally, we have Nico, in his gray hoodie and black sweatpants. His hair was tied into a man bun. His lighter skin looked paler than normal yet still working with the darker parts of his skin wonderfully.

They knew it was none of them yet, they didn’t know who would do such a horrible thing. Simon had no bullies or anything in that matter. Max walked towards the red cloth and raised it from the runny gooey liquid.  

“Wait, wasn’t Addy wearing a red sweater?” Amber said, her face pale due to her phobia of blood. 

“She would never, she loves her brother,” Riley comments, with hope in her eyes that her statement was correct. 

“Did she?” Nico starts putting the pieces together, “She always had some type of resentment towards him.”      

Everyone took a moment, “You’re right.” Naomi lowered her head. None of them wanted to think Addy did this, but it was the only true answer. 

Nico thought for a bit. Realizing that Addy wrote with a red pen when irritated or wore red on down days. She never tried to hang out with them, even when they offered her to join. All the red led to her, she did it. 

“It was Addy,” Lina states with a blank face. “That’s the only answer”

The group looks around, the smell of Simons's body reeked. It was quiet, you could hear a pin drop. In their minds, they knew the truth. Lina was right. 

Much to their surprise, Addy showed up, with a rip in her sweater. She looked like she hadn’t slept in days. Her Blonde hair was a knotted mess and her face was pale. 

“I see you found my brother,” Anger rose within the group. “I know you think it was me, but I didn’t do it.” 

“Then who did?” Naomi, in tears, muttered.

“Look at the body,” Addy unfazed, opened the door wider. She walked to Simon and picked up a rope and a broken pipe. 

“What are you trying to say?” Naomi, looked as if she was going to pounce, trying to stay calm. Nico prepared to hold her back. 

“He wanted to end his life,” Addy dropped the rope and reached into her pocket. Max pulled Riley and Amber behind him while Nico did the same for Lina and Naomi. Everyone was prepared just in case Addy tried to do something. She only pulled out a mere piece of paper. The group loosened their guard as Addy unfolded it and started to read aloud. 

Dear Addy,

I’m sorry. Things are too complicated for me. I’m stressed to the point that I cry. I’ve had to fill 19 holes and four dents in the walls from my rage. I have no motivation to do anything. Please tell the group I’m sorry and not to dwell on my death.  Let Momma know she did her best and it’s not her fault. I’m not good enough for this world. I do nothing all day. Amber, you’re beautiful and amazing at cheer, Riley, you’re amazing at playing every sport in the book, Max, you’re so close to becoming class president, Naomi, you’re incredible at writing and Forensics, Nico, you have unbelievable coding skills, Lina your beautiful art skills, and I will never forget you and your cooking. I will miss you all.

Love, Simon 

We couldn’t believe it. Max ran up to Addy and snatched the note and passed it around. When Nico finally got the note he started to cry. Yet something didn’t add up, not one bit. His sorrow turned to anger

“YOU LYING SON OF A-” Nico ran towards Addy.

“WOAH WOAH!” Lina and Naomi grabbed Nico by his hoodie and flung him back. 

“HE WOULD NEVER DO THIS TO HIMSELF!” Anger and anguish ran through Nico’s head. Simon was one of his closest friends. 

“I know, I can’t believe this either.” Addy adjusted her sweater to hide something, which caught Nico’s eye. 

“What are you hiding?” Nico loosened his body just enough to slip out of the girl's arms. Max realized what he was doing and pitched in

“What do you mean?” Panic erupted. Addy started to sweat. 

“In your sweater?” Nico grinned

“There's nothing.” 

“Take it off.” Max’s voice cracked. Nico didn’t expect that. After a quick thought, he then realized what Max was doing. 

“WHAT?” The girls glared at Max. 

Naomi glanced at Nico. She understood what the boys were doing. 

“Yeah,” Naomi said crossing her arms. 

“GROSS!” Addy took a step towards the door to the far left. 

“Do it, show us there is nothing to hide.” Nico couldn’t decide whether he was scared, angry, or upset. 

Addy made a run for it before anyone could react or process the next moments. She got a good head start, but Riley quickly caught on and bolted after her. Addy was unfit and tripped on her own two feet. During the fall a small pocket knife went flying.

Police ran to the scene, grabbed Addy, and cuffed her. She cried that she didn’t mean to, it was a mistake. Nico in shock went to his sister and hugged her. Feeling his anger disappear.

The next months were hard. Addy was sent to Juvy for murder. The twins went to therapy. Nico had nightmares and the uneasied feeling that there was more to Simon's death than he knew. Why did she do it? Who called the Police? Why was the rope and pipe next to Simons's body? So many unanswered questions. That just won’t be answered. Or so he thought…

This story is inspired by all the horror books I've read; the characters are little pieces of me.