Parallel Universe | Teen Ink

Parallel Universe

December 3, 2013
By Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia
24 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” --Albert Einstein


There once was another planet, very much like ours. Some galaxy, some incredible distance away, had one celestial body that had just the right conditions for
life. At a glance, it was just a dot. But up close, there were fantastic oceans, brilliant canyons, and at night the rest of the universe shined down with jealousy, pondering how they could be as beautiful. Then, as their star signaled the day again, there was movement. Little creatures, big creatures, ones with wings and ones with legs. Ones that glided through the water. Ones with long tails. Ones with blue pelts and yellow legs. This one planet had them all. No other speck of space could boast even one of these brilliant things. For a small time, they roamed the lands by themselves, going about life.
Then, in the blink of an eye, different creatures blossomed. Ones that could communicate with a huge array of sounds. They developed tools, technology, and ways to carry on tradition. Civilization was erected. Pretty soon, the forests that covered the lands were replaced with mechanical trees that grew up and up towards the sky. At night, these buildings would shine back at the stars above, envious of their world’s simplicity. The amount of people grew, and grew, and grew some more, and pretty soon, they covered all of the world. The vast, once undisturbed oceans now shook with the wake of boats and vessels that crossed them. The pure air darkened with a haze of smog from land roving machines that they so ingeniously created. Through that smog, still different contraptions flew.
The once beautiful planet had been stripped of its nature, and instead was replaced with a booming world. All on a speck of dust. Yet these creatures, with their communicating and their advanced thinking, thought themselves the only creatures around--at least, the most important of them. Rather than appreciating the chance they were given--the chance to be on a planet with perfect circumstances, the chance that only arises once, maybe twice, ever--they carried ahead with greed. They wanted the land for themselves. Although they all were one creature, they acted as many, fighting and bickering with others.
Their technology, once impressive, was scary. Overnight, each society went from a small, peaceful land, to one with missiles that could destroy a species. Yet they kept striving. And fighting. Small scale squabbles broke out rapidly everywhere throughout the planet. No longer did the skies shine down jealously at night. And the technology just grew and grew. One day, the small fights were not enough. So they used the technology. At last, their appreciation for their planet had ran out. The vast oceans, stretching plains, wonderful forests, all gone in one blast. The missiles all launched at once, and for a small second, the air was filled with birds like it had been so recently. And as they landed, the explosion shattered it all. Nothing survived. The people were wiped to oblivion. Buildings that once stood tall, vaporized on the spot. The pointless war left nothing behind, no evidence of the society that didn't appreciate what they had. The explosion was massive, felt all around the universe.
This came to be known as the big bang.


The author's comments:
Recently, I've had these recurring ideas about questioning what we really know. And one of the things I thought of once dealt with how our Earth came about. One thing led to another, and I ended up writing this.