First Kiss | Teen Ink

First Kiss

By AlexTraxinger PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas
AlexTraxinger PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

“I love you,” he whispered. He shut his eyes and breathed in the scent emanating from his friend. “But I’m not who you think I am.”
“Dave,” said the other man. He reached out and cupped his cheek. Dave’s eyes reopened, and Adam smiled softly at the sadness within the bright blue orbs. “What are you talking about? If you love me and I love you, what else do we need?” He leaned in, attempting to close the space between them, but Dave turned his face away so their lips would not meet.
“You need the truth,” he said in a scolding tone, though it was directed at himself. “My name is David. It’s not Dave Sanders. Just David.” He stood up from the bed where he had been sitting next to Adam, who felt cold when the warmth was taken away. “This was never supposed to happen.” David began to unbutton his white dress shirt. “I have been here too long, and have fallen prey to Earth’s sins. I have forgotten about Him, and now I have fallen.” He stared down at the floor, feeling tears in his eyes for the first time. “I’m so sorry, Adam.”
When the first tear broke free, Adam stood up and put his hands on David’s shoulders. “Why are you crying? I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me.”
David took a step back. He took a deep breath. “I was an angel. I was sent to protect you. And now I have fallen in love with you, and, in doing so, have fallen from God’s graces. I have been destined to walk alone on Earth until the Rapture.” He removed his shirt to reveal a pair of charred, blackened wings, flaking and peeling away from the rest of his body.
He closed his eyes, and could hear Adam retreat to the bed. It seemed like an eternity before anything else was said.
“Wow… I can’t believe this,” Adam whispered.
“I’m sorry,” David said again, tears still rolling from his eyes, even though they were squeezed shut.
“Why? You’re still my angel.”
At this, David opened his eyes, and looked at the elegantly molded man before him. “But I’ve fallen…” he said in a trembling voice.
“You said you’d fallen in love with me. Who cares where else you fell from?”
David stood, shocked. Adam reached out a hand, which the other man gratefully received. He had never savored another being’s touch to such a powerful extent. “Come here,” Adam said. “Isolation only leads to desperation, and I won’t allow such a fate to be destined to someone as beautiful as you.”