La La Land | Teen Ink

La La Land

By LilaW PLATINUM, Brampton, ON, Other
LilaW PLATINUM, Brampton, ON, Other

Live. Laugh. Love. Fight. Flight. Get it right.<3

You know that place everyone drifts off too once in a while? Whether their daydreaming or simply thinking about some other parallel dimension that may or may not exist? A fantasy world, in other words. Yeah. I like to call that place: La La Land. Anything can happen in La La Land. It can look like anything in the world. Just add some imagination and voila! A whole alternate reality awakening throughout your mind. Anyways, your probably wondering when I’ll move on with the story. I don’t want to waste too much of your invaluable time. So let’s continue.

Hi.

My name is Naomi. Sweet and sour 16, rebellious adolescent, and proud resident of La La Land. I give in to my infatuations and daydreams about 25 hours a day, 8 days a week. Hey. I did say anything was possible in that world. Sometimes, I tune out completely whether its during school, at home, or when I’m with friends.

My best friend, Emily, would always have this snide comment during these times, “Oh, look. We’ve lost Naomi yet again. Naomi? Still in La La Land?”

My parents, on the other hand, were not so amused by this. “Naomi, weren’t you paying attention? I swear. Where is your head nowadays?”

My older brother would smack me on the back of my head and insist that I come back down to reality. I’d listen, of course, he’s my older brother after all. Then, when he was out of the room, I’d drift back into my imaginary world.

Anyone who needs to use their imagination and creativity on a daily basis can empathize with me, or at least sympathize. One thing I love the most, other than dreaming, is music. Music is amazing because it helps enhance those visions taking them to the next level with actual sound effects.

You might be thinking that I’m weird. Don’t worry. You wouldn’t be the first and definitely not the last. I, myself, think I’m an oddball. There are some people who are so dense and close-minded that they can’t even ponder about anything besides what is fact and what is real. Did the author of Dracula or Frankenstein dream about things that existed? No. Dracula and Frankenstein don’t exist (I know, it’s surprising isn’t it?). Being open-minded has its advantages after all.

As this short story comes to an end (it is a SHORT story after all), I slowly drain back into reality hearing my mother calling me. So I have this small piece of advice for current and potential dreamers. When you drift off like I do, reach out and embrace the possibilities of what is not reality. Close your eyes. Open your mind. And imagine the impossible. Sounds bizarre, doesn’t it? Will you stop reading this now and turn away? Or, as I reach out for you, will you take my hand and join me on the glowing pathway into La La Land?

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient for living." (Dr. Seuss)

PointOfNoReturn SILVER, :D, California

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened(:

You seem like a very intruiging person(:

Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

Haha, this is totally me :) I daydream more than I live. Your style is great, so refreshing. See you in La La Land? :)

Can you look at some of my work and give some feedback, please?

elfen_girl BRONZE, Wilmslow, Other

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple stupid

Totally awesome

i feel the same way, im always going into la la land it is soooooooooooooo cool (lol)

Striker GOLD said...
Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

Agreed. I live in La La Land, too and love to read and write fantasy. Read my work?

ScarletThread, Someplace, Pennsylvania

Faithless is he so says farewell when the road darkens. -J. R. R. Tolkien

When all we have is God, we have all we need.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with the music thing. For instance, I usually ALways write with music on.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha and I love the quote too x)

Ohmygosh, that is so well written! Good job! I don't think I'm closed minded or unimaginative, but I'll be very careful from now on not to become close minded now without realizing it.

Really quirky and great style. Love it! You can totally make this into a series, despite how Naomi said it was a short story. :)

Nice Dr. Seuss quote by the way.