Shadows | Teen Ink

Shadows

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

Princess Soliel. First born. Thats me. If I lived in a land where princesses couldn't rule, this would make sense. I don't. I’m not th heir. I'm forgotten.

Princess Beli. Second born. Perfect. Shes the best at everything, including outshine me. Naturally, she has my title. After all, I wouldn’t mind. Not that anyone asked me. Not that they even thought of me.

The thing is, I don't mind. Or at least, not in the sense that matters. I would make a terrible public figure, even if I would be a good queen. Not that I know if I would. And what counts- i won't speak up. I appear content to be forgotten.

But thats where the story took a weird turn. I was already Belis shadow. I didn't follow her, but no matter where I went she was there. If I went to market, people wouldn't point at the princess. They would point at the princesses sister. They would ask for me to get a hankercheif of hers or something.

I could do nothing. 

My resentment grew, certainly. It became my shadow. A shadow in me. Then it became me. And thus, I was a shadow. In everyones eyes. But thats not where it ends. I woke up beside her. I followed her and couldn't control my body. I heard whispers that Soliel- not Princess Soliel, had disappeared, but nobod cared. I realized- i was litrally my sisters shadow.

Then I learned to move. I was a shadow built of resentment. I grew fangs. I took my place. I don't know what happened to my sister after my fit. I heard her screams for a moment, then I had a body. Her body. I was first.

But thats not where it ends either. Because somehow, somebody found out. The rumor struggled to catch on, but soon everyone knew. I confessed. Nobody quite knew what to do with me. Techniclly i was still royalty either way. But I soon had a thousand shadows.

clearly not my best work. just a random idea to kill time.

when the wifi went down I got super productive. i should block wifi or something.

creepy tho. especially the ending.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

yeah i cant believe they passed it(honestly if it were me I wouldn't have).

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

"Let the disappointments pass
Let the laughter fill your glass
Let your illusions last until they shatter.
Whatever you might hope to find
Among the thoughts that crowd your mind
There won't be many that ever really matter.
But take good care of your mother
And remember to be kind
When the pain of another will serve you to remind."
--Jackson Browne

Oooh sppoooky