Return Sail | Teen Ink

Return Sail

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

Lucy walked out to the shore she liked to watch when she was afraid. She had a piece of driftwood she had found as a child. A piece of a boat. She took it out and stared at it. This was a piece of how she got here. 10 years ago.

She thought her parents raised her, she didn't know she was adopted. She didn't know she was from that awful place. But now that she knew, on the tenth anniversary of when she was found, the memories flooded back. She thought she was heading to a happy place, a magic place.

She thought she would die at sea. But she landed on shore of a free place and her parents found her. They understood enough. They destroyed the boat she came on, so there was no proof. But she found a piece on the shore she landed on within a week.

This piece of driftwood was her world. And her origin.

She understood the truth now. Her mommy was killed. She would have been too. She was alive now, and strong now. She had to know the truth. So sudden… but she was going to find out the truth. Understand why. Destroy them. She was 16, but she was strong enough. 

She was going to be a fairy. Her wish would come true. She would become a ferry of death. This was her past and her destiny. She didn't tell her parents, she was ready now. She climbed in another flimsy rowboat and set sail again. Above her a star shot.

She didn't make a wish.

if you haven't read set sail, an equally short story of mine, this will make no sense. 

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

thanks
the firs one is kinda magical because its from the pov of an innocent child. she just saw her mom get dragged away(either killed or imprisoned, its unclear), but shes certain its fine and shes going to become a fairy in neverland.

DesdemoniaDee SILVER, Wördern, Other

“All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Ok sorry, just forget what I just said. I did not read the author's comment:). It makes sense.

DesdemoniaDee SILVER, Wördern, Other

― Ernest Hemingway

I really like the atmosphere you have created throughout the story, although I thought it would be good to elaborate a bit more, especially upon the last paragraph. The mention with the fairy and the ferry of death was somewhat out of place and not really understandable,but it would fit in better if you would maybe explain a bit more on the subject. On the whole I quite liked the story.