Belle of the Ball | Teen Ink

Belle of the Ball

By ethannpham BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
ethannpham BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Part one: Every cell in Mae’s body was kicking into overdrive to stay awake, leaning against her flimsy arms on her desk, trying to catch her head every time it slowly fell towards the cold surface of her desk. So much for trying harder in school. However, last night was totally worth it.
Twenty-four hours earlier. Ring, ring, ring...every student stands up in unity to leave Miss Riley’s senior English class. As Mae packs her things, she glances at a tall, brunet, male in an oversized hoodie, but hurries out of the classroom. As Mae takes her first step out of school, the rays of sunshine and the umph of the breeze hits her in the face and chills run throughout her body. In her periphery, she notices the student in the oversized hoodie on the swings in the playground and approaches him. After observing him carefully, she believes they know each other. She asks, “Have we met?” “Not possible. Transferred last year,” he replies without making eye contact. “Oh, I’m sorry, my name is Mae. Mae Valentine.” “Yeah I know.” It was as if he was already familiar with her. After an awkward silence, he says, “Aaron. Pleasure to meet you.” He looks at his watch and his mood suddenly changes. “Sorry, but I have to go,” Aaron says and runs off. He didn’t make eye contact once. His wandering blue eyes pay more attention to the brittle, orange leaves, but without care, Mae begins her journey home.
Mae casually walks down Jefferson Avenue and absorbs the beautiful graffiti on the walls, the fragrant, rich aroma coming from the pizzeria, and the sound of children playing and crying of joy in the park. The sun was beginning to set and Mae was far from home. Suddenly, she hears the cry of a man yelling down the street. Impetuously, she goes to explore the situation only to realize that it was someone robbing the convenience store. The burglar has a mask on, and he notices Mae and runs towards her with a handgun trying to scare her off, but she wasn’t running. Deep down, she feels like it’s Aaron and stands there. Speechless. Just looking at him as if she knew he wasn’t going to hurt her. The thief was confused, but he hears the blue and red flashing sirens and yells, “Run!” But she doesn’t. He quickly grabs her arm, pulls her to a dark alley, and holds her in his arms trying to stay hidden. The burglar checks to see if the coast was clear, but as he turns back, she smacks him across his face with a wrench found on the ground for her safety even though she knows it’s Aaron.
Part two: I woke up. I wish I hadn’t. With my eyes still closed, I heard the gentle sound of Mae sobbing. Dramatically waking up, I yell, “Where am I!?" She was keeping her distance, but she wasn’t afraid. This time, I looked into her eyes and I just stared. From my eyes, she figured out who I really am. Her mouth drops and she slowly walks towards me. “Barry...it’s you...you changed your name,” she mumbles. She starts to walk unsteadily and rubs the temples of her head trying to understand the situation. The built up emotion was finally let out of me. “Yeah, it’s me. I loved you ever since fifth grade, but we got into a big argument, and instead of trying to work things out, I attempted to be someone else and tried to watch over you just in case you ever needed me, but you seem to be doing just fine without me. You take my breath away with your caring, loving personality.  If there’s anyone that can change me, it’s you, but I didn’t want to be a part of your life if I was going to be a burden.” I slowly began to look away. After a moment, I walk towards her, and I grab her hand. Not one word came from her mouth. As soon as she wraps her arms around me, I knew she understood me, and she wasn’t going to leave me. “I’m here for you now,” she whispered. “I’m sorry, I’m going to change for you, Mae. It’s late, let me take you home.”