Beaten Breathless | Teen Ink

Beaten Breathless

By midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland
midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland

"Soon madness has worn you down. It’s easier to do what it says than argue. In this way, it takes over your mind. You no longer know where it ends and you begin. You believe anything it says. You do what it tells you, no matter how extreme or absurd. If it says you’re worthless, you agree. You plead for it to stop. You promise to behave. You are on your knees before it, and it laughs."
— Marya Hornbacher

“Okay, Martha, deep breaths, deep breaths.” The small part of her mind which is still thinking rationally repeats this like a mantra. “Deep breaths Martha, deep breaths.” But the words fell on deaf ears, as she feels the all too familiar tightness in her throat, as the memories bubble up inside, constricting her airways. She hates the way that even though they have separated, she can still feel his rough hands against her neck, and hear the hateful words he spoke. “Deep breaths Martha, deep breaths.” She recites the phrase the way she once had done in the home they shared, the hospital rooms he’d put her in, the dark streets she took to for escape, and in the courtroom where, for the first time with him, she had won. “Deep breaths Martha, deep breaths.”

This is a short piece on domestic abuse I wrote for a writing class a little while back. It is an issue that needs more awareness and needs to be recognized on a larger scale. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, you are not alone. Don't be afraid to seek help.