We Were Meant to Be | Teen Ink

We Were Meant to Be

By Lee Phan BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Lee Phan BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

I stand here hopelessly, with nothing but confusion in my eyes and a dandelion held tight in between my hands. I stare at you from a distance, thinking, "We were meant to be", although it, as what I'm seeing now, can never happen.
I remember in kindergarten, when we first met on the playground, you would push me on the swings so that I could finally touch the skies and feel the wind in my hair, like I always wanted to do on my own. When I told you to go away, you carelessly ran behind me, disappearing from my life. Within 5 minutes, you returned with a freshly picked yellow dandelion in your hand. You reached it out to me with a wide smile and said, "We were meant to be."
I remember in fifth grade, after you followed me home from school, you rode your bike past my house waving crazily at me. Annoyed, I turned around and entered the door. Within 5 minutes, you came back to my house, ringing the doorbell rapidly until I answered. "I can't find my way home, " you said with an innocent look. After I helped you locate your house, you faced me closely. With a wide smile, you said, "We were meant to be," and gazed around the grass, looking for something that I couldn't quite determine. "Whatcha looking for?" I blurted out as you began to kneel down and scurry the grass. You got up, brushing away the dirt on your jeans and ran into the house. I watched, through the screen door, as you charged out the back side of your house, reaching down to pluck a dandelion from the ground. You came back out the front, reaching it out to me and repeated, "We were meant to be."
I remember in eighth grade, after you had found where my locker was, you slipped a bright yellow note into it. I watched you from down the hall and decided to scare you away. When I darted up to you, yelling, you ran away, just like you did in kindergarten when I told you to leave. I hurriedly opened my locker, curious to see what the note said, "We were meant to be." After 5 minutes, of ripping the note into pieces, you showed up behind me with a bright yellow dandelion in your hand. You reached it out to me with a wide smile and said, "We were meant to be."
I remember last week, when I introduced you to my boyfriend, you followed us the whole day at the mall. You vanished after we sat down for lunch. But within 5 minutes, you returned with a handful of freshly picked dandelions, and with words and a smile that I knew so well, you repeated for the last time, "We were meant to be." As I took the cluster of flowers and carelessly threw them to the floor, I watched the last remains of you vanish through the exit that led into millions of different directions.
Now, however, I stand here at this very moment, with nothing but confusion in my eyes and a dandelion held tight in between my hands. In full regret, I gaze at you and your new girlfriend, sharing a smile, a laugh, and dandelion. I stare at you from a distance, thinking, "We were meant to be", although it, as what I'm seeing now, can never happen.

QueenOfTheWorld SILVER, Joplin, Missouri

"One should never save cake for later when it can be eaten now"
Winter, The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

This is such a beautiful story.

DJAlyss GOLD said...
DJAlyss GOLD, El,paso, Texas

Practice doesn't make perfect,
Practice makes Permanent

Omg!! I cried wow amazing! Please keep writing this was very good!!

MADDO SILVER said...
MADDO SILVER, MUMBAI, Other
its written beautifully :)

itgirl318 BRONZE, Oakland, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"I don't take things slow, remember? I just close my eyes and jump". -Laurel Lance from the television series Arrow.

I absolutely love this story! @LillyZ83 i totally had that song in my head the whole time reading this story too!

ChasityTaylor SILVER, Denham Springs, Louisiana

"In terms of noodles, all bets on Trump."- my very strange friends

i agree Zozey, she brought it apone herselfe. but great writing none the less!

Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine

"Never regret something that once made you smile." - Amber Deckers

"Stories are more than just images. As you continue in the tale, you get to know the characters, motivations and conflicts that make up the core of the story...." - Livia Blackburne

Love it! All trough the story a song title kept popping into my head, "Meant To Be" by Parachute. It talks about how he says they were meant to be, but she's to restless to settle down and is always on the go. I love this story though!!!!!!!

oliviajocson SILVER, Normal, Illinois

"Learning to love the process."

Agh! This totally spoke to me! Very well written, and such a relatable scenario. Though the outcome is sad and painful, it's often very realistic. Keep writing!

liveloud70x7 SILVER, Private, California

“You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect.” --john green

"self-consciousness is the enemy of all creativity" --ray bradbury

"We suffer each other to have each other a while." -Li-Young Lee

OH MY GOODNESS THAT'S SAD. But, I loved this. Using the dandelions and that little phrase "we were meant to be" was a pretty cool idea. I actually wrote a song on this theme, haha. About two friends that should have always been together - and one is so in love and the other isn't - but they never do. 

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

Okay so I know that I am souposed to, but I feel no symathy for the girl. I mean she pushed him away too many times to just change her mind. I do feel sorry for the guy though. As you can see, good writing, you're making me feel like they are real! 

wow, i love this story sooo much! good job!