Love is a Flower | Teen Ink

Love is a Flower

July 30, 2011
By ilovelucy469 GOLD, Annapolis, Maryland
ilovelucy469 GOLD, Annapolis, Maryland
13 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
I rather be hated for what i am, then to be loved for what im not.


I’m sitting alone on a bench in the middle of a field. It’s a bleak dreary day and everything just seemed like it was frowning. I’m wearing a long flowing grey dress and I was holding something. Maybe it was an apple? Or maybe it was a flower. But I forgot about it all as soon as he came into my view. He sat down next to me and took my hand and rubbed it gently. I blushed and looked down to see my dress changed colors from grey to a bright red. “Jack…”

“Shhh, I want this to be perfect.” He said, leaning in closer to my face and kissing me softly. A loud thunderous clap sounded throughout the whole field and a huge split went between me and Jack. Jack started to fall in and I scrambled to try and grasp his hands to pull him out but he shoved me away from the fracture. Within seconds he was swallowed in the seemingly endless crack that sealed shut as fast as it came. No, no, no, this… this can’t happen this isn’t how it’s supposed to end. We supposed to be together, not him dead. I thought to myself with tears streaming down my face. I look down and see a wilted rose where Jack used to be. As soon as I picked it up, as if by magic it came back to life.

I’ve been having this dream for the last couple weeks, not sure what it means. But unlike my other dreams which are usually blurry and incoherent, this dream feels really life like, like it was actually happening. But it can’t be because Jack and I will never get together, he unfortunately only thinks of me as a friend. I’m supposed to meet him soon to see the movie he wanted to see for a while but none of his guys friends wanted to. So naturally I’m the perfect person to call because as pathetic as it is, I’ll never say no. Throwing on some shorts and a shirt, I grab my phone and leave to meet him at the Movies.



“Hey Melissa, I’m over here!” Jack yelled over the chatter of everybody. I sprinted over toward him and blushed when I took one glance of his charming smile.

“So… uh, do you want to, umm, go?” I said awkwardly gesturing to the theater.

“Sure.” He said while ruffling my hair with a smile. Ugh, stuck in the friend zone forever! We purchased our tickets and sat all the way in the back where no one else was. The movie began but I didn’t even noticed because Jack tenderly snatched my hand from myself and began to stroke it gingerly. Could this really be happening? Maybe I’m not stuck in the friend zone forever!

“Jack…”
“Shhh, I want to make this perfect.” He whispered with sly look. He leaned in and kissed me gently but the kiss quickly grew from gently to rough and wild. Kissing Jack wasn’t exactly how I imagined it, but it was definitely exciting and fun! So I guess I’ll just have to make do. An earsplitting gun shout from the movie startled me and Jack and our foreheads collided into each other. “Ugh,” he grunted while massaging his head, “Well, that’s not how I exactly pictured it.” He said jokingly. I giggled a bit while brushing a clump of brown hair out of his beautiful brown eyes with the tips of my fingers.

“Well to me, this is perfect.” And it was I’ve never been so happy in my whole life.

“Then how about we make it even more perfect?” He whispered enticingly then softly kissed me again for the second time. This is, with no doubt, the best day ever.


I lay on my bed, with my hair drying from my shower just smiling stupidly. This day was just absolutely and completely perfect. I don’t know what could make it better- suddenly my phone flashed and vibrated snapping me out of my reverie. It was a text from Jack asking me if I wanted to hang out over at his place. Yup it just got better. I got off my bed and turned of my lamp to go to bed. It seemed no matter how hard I try I couldn’t stop smiling like an idiot. Maybe this is what heaven feels like.


I arrived at Jack’s house at around noon and told my mom to pick me up at around three. Normally if it was any other guy’s house my mom wouldn’t let me go in a million years but apparently everyone thinks me and jack will never get together. I’d like to see everyone faces when they find out their wrong. I knocked on the door and their Jack stood gorgeous as ever, in blue jeans and a black shirt. “Hey, come on in.”

“Thanks.” I said, feeling my cheeks grow red. I walked in and gazed at all the family pictures that plastered the pale pea green walls. The pictures ranged from birthdays to vacations but my favorite was of me and jack as little kids swimming in a kiddy pool.

“Let’s go sit on the couch.” He said extending an inviting hand towards me. I took hold of his hand and followed him toward the sofa. Jack sat me down next to him then he slithered his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. “My parents are gone.” His warm breath blowing just inches from my ear, “So we can just, you know, fool around.”

“Umm, I not sure…”

“Oh come on Melissa lets have some fun.” He purred while fiddling with the bottom of my shirt.

“Jack, no. It’s not that I’m against doing it, but all we ever done was kiss once, and before that you never have thought of me anymore as a friend.”

“Yeah I know but I think if we do this, it’ll make our relationship stronger. So how about we take our pants off.” He murmured softly in my ear.

“Jack, we don’t have a relationship.” I declared.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I’m out of here.” I got up off the couch and stormed out the house.

“Wait Melissa come back, I was only trying to have fun.” Jack called after me.

“Don’t talk to me.” I told him without breaking my stride or turning my head.

“Whatever I don’t need you anyway. I was trying to do you a favor by making your dull life a little more exciting!” He shouted after me just before I crossed the threshold of the door. Without turning around I lifted up my right hand and flipped Jack off before making my exit. Tears streaming down my face, I started to run, putting as much distance between me and Jack as I could. After about ten minutes of running non-stop I looked up to see I was in some strange part of the neighborhood I wasn’t familiar with. Wiping my tears off my flushed cheeks, I take a deep shaky breath to calm myself. I guess I finally did say no to Jack.

“Umm, excuse me.” An unfamiliar voice called from behind me. Startled I turn around to see the owner of the voice. There standing before me was a guy around my age with shaggy blonde hair and deep blue eyes holding a single rose. “I think you dropped this.” He said extending his hand with the flower in it.

“Thanks but I didn’t drop that.” I said with my cheeks blushing.

“Yeah I know, I just wanted an excuse to talk to you.” He said with a charming smile.

“Umm, thank you.” I said while taking the rose. “May I ask what your name is?”

“The name is Robert but you can call me Rob.”

“Well I’m really happy you gave me this flower Rob, I’m sort of having a bad day.”

“You had a bad day? How about we walk and talk about it.”

“I would like that.” I said smiling stupidly. So we talked for about what seemed like forever and when it was time for me to go, Rob took out a pen and wrote his number on my hand, making me promise to text him soon. I realized today that life isn’t perfect and there will always be ups and downs but the best thing to do is just enjoy the ride.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because my friend asked me to, i think it turned out pretty good.