A Letter to my Sister's Future Boyfriend | Teen Ink

A Letter to my Sister's Future Boyfriend

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Greetings!

For dating my dear little sister, you must be either a very special man or a complete creep who wants to take advantage of her. If you are her first boyfriend, then I suspect it is the latter. All you have to do to disprove my theory is visit our family! If my sister has conned you into deciding to meet us, then you are either very brave or very stupid. Again, I suspect it is the latter.

Anyway, I guess you should know what to expect.

As soon as your vehicle pulls into our driveway, you will be watched. If you are even mildly aware of your surroundings, you will see three short, dark-skinned men in military gear. These are three of the seasonal Filipino workers we employ on our apiary. One of them will be armed with a pellet gun and another will be armed with my dad’s bear hunting rifle. The last one doesn’t need a gun; he’s a bull wrestler. While these three men are dangerous, they aren’t the ones you need to worry about.

At our front door you will be greeted by dad and his double-barrel shotgun. One barrel is filled with rock salt and bacon rind while the other has an actual shell. This is a warning as to what will happen if you break her heart. Still, dad is not the one you should be the most afraid of.

No, the person you should fear most is my mother. She has the aura of a military general and the ruthless streak of a Mafia boss. It is a rare young man that is not intimidated by her. Personally, I don’t think you are one of these rare men.

But if you love my little sister despite her psychotic family, you do indeed deserve her love. If you stick around long enough to marry her, then maybe I can accept you as my brother-in-law. Maybe.

This is from my own point-of-view, but it is a fictional letter. Then again, this could happen in real life if my little sister brings a boyfriend home!

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think!

Resonating_Words SILVER, Dallas, Texas

Reading this was enjoyable! I love the imagery of it all -- I could see the scene unfolding in my mind. This, I commend you for. 

As the oldest of four children, and two more young ones popping in as part of the deal when my mother remarried, I would like to say I can sympathized with the narrator here. 

Thou shall not harm the young girl!

Anyways, I giggled while I read this ^__^ Very well done, as usual it seems!

thalialisset SILVER, Jamaica, New York

Don't Judge Its Book By It's Cover

ur welcome;)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

thalialisset SILVER, Jamaica, New York

Don't Judge Its Book By It's Cover

very nice written...thius is sooo  what my sister would say  tooo....luvvv  it:)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)       

AmieeHope-Sierra GOLD, Royston, Georgia

And There Will Come A Time, You'll See, With No More Tears. And Love Will Not Break Your Heart, But Dismiss Your Fears.

Great I love it!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

--sarah SILVER said...
--sarah SILVER, Andover, Massachusetts

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
~Louisa May Alcott

definitely reminds me of my family! i loved how humorous it was, but still so well written. great job!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

Definitly made me laugh. Though I was waiting to hear what you would do once he walked through that door you know? I wanted to know how YOU were going to protect your little sister. That's just a suggestion because maybe you already do do something! anyway keeep writing:)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! I'm glad it was entertaining. :)

Afanen PLATINUM, Santa Rosa, California

"But you see, Meg, just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist."

- Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time

I wouldn't put it past my family to do this, sadly. :) Funny story.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I'm glad you thought it was funny. :)

AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

I thought this very funny ( it remindes me of my family)i really like your use of using two possiblilites to describe the boyfriend, and then always going for the less attractive one. Great voice in this peice. It's so different from your other work it shows you have talent!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)                   

Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anonymous

"For he loved her, as you can only love someone who is an echo of yourself in your time of deepest sorrow." ~ Orson Scott Card

Love it! You are great at writing humorous stuff. I feel sorry for the poor guy, though . . .

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Of course I'll look at your new chapters!  Thanks so much for commenting. :)

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

Omg I have a little sister and I would so print this out and give it to any boy she brings home haha. And btw, I just posted more chapters of my novel the ember pendant so if you could take a look at the new chapters when they get posted thatd be great! Thanks Carrie.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Haha xD poor guy lol cute story though!