Black Eyes and Baseball | Teen Ink

Black Eyes and Baseball

June 29, 2011
By Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
87 articles 108 photos 966 comments

Favorite Quote:
All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.


He spit a broken sunflower seed on the ground, split perfectly down the middle. I watched as he joked with his team members. I had my sun glasses over my eyes, so he wouldn’t see my black eye. Me and my ex-boyfriend, Dakota, had gotten in a big fight. I’ll recap last night.


“So are we going to hang out tomorrow,” he was leaning over me, kissing my neck softly.

“Actually, I’m going to Adam’s baseball game. He invited me yesterday.” I tried to act like it was no big deal, but Adam and Dakota were competitive, and my affection was just another game.

“What? Your going to blow off your boyfriend for him?” He leaned back, anger making his eye brows furrow down. I sat up straighter, too.

“He made plans before you did. And anyways, you can come too.” I scooted away from him to the end of the couch and he just glared at me.

“Well, we are not going.” He said standing up and walking into the kitchen.

“I’m going, with or without you.” I said standing up, but I should have waited till he was all the way into the kitchen. He spun around and was suddenly standing in front of me, a head tall, and his chest wider than my shoulders.

“No, your not.” He growled down at me and I just looked away. His hand flew up, grabbing my chin roughly and turning my head to look at him. I put my hands on his chest, trying to push away.

“Wanna act like that?” He asked and the next thing I knew, I was sitting on the couch again, holding my eye and trying not to scream.

“Oh, Kimberly, I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean to hurt you.” He was bent over me trying the pry my hand away from my face. He held my hand down and looked me in the eye and I could tell a bruise was forming. he leaned forward to kiss me, but I turned away and shakily stood up, pushing past him. I needed to get out. At the door, I slid into my blue jacket, shaking and he started to walk over to me.

“Don’t. Touch. Me.” I said through my teeth, trying to get my arm through the sleeve.

“Kimberly, stop, come here,” he wrapped his arms around me and for a moment I froze, forgetting about my eye. But reality returned when my eye started to throb painfully. I pulled away and as I jerked the door open, I looked over my shoulder at Dakota.

“Good bye, Dakota. It’s over.” I slammed the door behind me and stood on the top step a moment, listening to him cursing and swearing inside, I heard him repeating my name and I just smiled, knowing it was sweet revenge.


Adam stepped out of the dug out and grinned at me, carrying his bat cockily. As he stepped up to plate, he readied himself for the pitch and glanced back at me again. Right at that moment my sunglasses slid down my nose and into my lap. His smile disappeared as he took in the black eye and I knew he knew. I scrambled to replace them, watching him closely. He dropped his bat and everything was silent, except for the sound of the baseball hitting the catchers glove. I got down from my seat and hurried towards the parking lot, a cold breeze wrapping around me. I could hear Adam running to catch up and he grabbed my arm and spun me around.
“Dakota did this to you?” He asked pushing my sunglasses up carefully. His fingers trailed the edge of the ugly bruise and I winced.
“Maybe.” I replied looking away, but he pulled my face to mine, kissing me passionately.
“I haven’t been about to do that for a long time.” He said smiling at me and I just nodded letting him hug me, protecting me from the world.


The author's comments:
Please tell me what you think.