Speak From the Heart | Teen Ink

Speak From the Heart

By Annerdy BRONZE, San Francisco, California
Annerdy BRONZE, San Francisco, California

One Sunday morning, he unexpectedly showed up at my doorstep and surprised me with an invitation to breakfast at the local coffee shop. I prefer sleeping until noon on weekends, so I was complaining with my usual morning crankiness.

“You look beautiful with or without makeup,” he chuckled.

He sat down on the end of the couch and waited. I picked up my eyeliner pencil and leaned toward the mirror. I hesitated when I noticed his uneasy expression in the background.

“What are you staring at?” I asked, slightly amused.

“How do you manage not to poke your eyeballs out?!” he gawked.

I laughed and set the pencil on my desk.

“I’m not in danger, silly goose,” I rolled my eyes. Why do they call it "lucky duck" and "silly goose"? I mean, what makes a goose sillier than a duck? I'd like to know.

He came up from behind and wrapped his arms around my waist. He pulled me in closer and gently brushed my hair aside. I blushed. “I never want to see you get hurt,” he whispered.

Gosh darn it, he was such a hopeless romantic. Can’t really blame a girl for falling head over heels though, he was just so sweet and thoughtful. I turned around to face him and placed my hands upon his broad shoulders. I rested my head against his chest and caught a whiff of his signature scent, a familiar hint of fresh peppermint, cinnamon spice, and sandalwood. It was warm and comforting. He pressed his forehead against mine and stared into my hazel green eyes. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach and goosebumps lingered on my skin. I wrapped my arms around the back of his neck and tousled with his soft brown hair. He slowly leaned forward and kissed my lips. When he opened his eyes again, he sighed. I felt his muscles tense up and he loosened his arm around my waist.

I held my breath, preparing for the worst. “What’s wrong?”

He glanced at me nervously and bit his bottom lip. “I wish I could always be there to protect you.”

I exhaled. That’s all? I giggled and playfully elbowed him. “You jerk! If I develop worry lines and begin premature aging, I totally blame you.”

He grinned. “I love you.”

A crooked smile spread wide across my face. I bet I looked like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. It was another one of my idiotic moments, when all the words were caught in my throat. How much I wanted to open my mouth and fearlessly speak those four little words, "I love you, too.”

This is a small section inspired a larger chapter I'm writing. I'm a sucker for love stories.

Annerdy BRONZE said...
Thanks for your critique! I guess I was focusing so much on the descriptions, I left out her emotions. Ha, my bad. (: You're right. I'll try to incorporate more of her thoughts and feelings into the story so the readers can connect to the character better. Thanks again. :]

SandyC SILVER said...
SandyC SILVER, Concord, Other

"In the end it won't matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"

i really like this, you do a good job of capturing the characters love of her boyfriend, and how shes afraid to say it

very cute story

great job, keep writing, you are very talented!

AmandaPanda123 SILVER, Brookville, Pennsylvania

Memories are forever.

I liked the way the story played out, but it felt a bit too short. It was very descriptive, but maybe you could have added some of her thoughts into the story.

Pandora118 BRONZE, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
This is so good. I had the same nervousness when it was my time to finally say "I love you" to my bf.