Turnaround | Teen Ink

Turnaround

As she looked out her window, she sighed. There she was, sitting all alone on winter break when she could have been hanging with friends. But all she could think about was that one guy that had stolen her heart a year ago.
Yes, they were together. She was so happy when he finally admitted that he liked her. But that had been it for a while now. He wouldn’t tell his parents because he was afraid of their reaction. So, there she was, sitting there, waiting for her “boyfriend” to text her. But so far, nothing.
She decided to talk to her best friend about it.

football<3: hey
runnerrunner: waz up?
football<3: nothing… u?
runnerrunner: drivin 2 nxt meet
football<3: kulio =) gud luk! 8D
runnerrunner: thx =D
football: so… im kinda stuk on my nxt move… he hasn’t txtd me sinc lik lst wk… n i no hes reely busy n evrythin but…
runnerrunner: he STIL hasn’t txtd u?
football<3: nada =(
runnerrunner: giv it up! he obviously doesnt care enuf bout u…
football<3: reely?
runnerrunner: idk… talk 2 him in skul bout it…
football<3: kk I will… thx =)

The next day was Monday, and she was worried about seeing him again. This is it, she murmured to herself. I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna ask him when.
She went up to him like she did every day before class.
“Hey…”
“Hey.”
“Where were you this weekend? Once again, you didn’t answer your phone.”
“Oh yeah…”
“Is there something you’re not telling me?”
“Um… yeah. Listen, you’re a great person and all, but I wanna be just friends. This isn’t working out.”
“Oh… okay. Well, bye.” She walked away, feeling defeated.
Later in the day, she sat moping in art class. Her only friend in that class had decided to sit with his other friends that day, so she worked all alone. When the bell rang, her friend came over and asked what was wrong. She replied nothing.
“Are you sure?” he asked. “Because it sure looks like you broke up with your boyfriend.”
She looked up in alarm. “Who told you this?” she whispered. “No one was supposed to know that we were going out!”
“You did. Just now.” He smiled at her.
She breathed a sigh of relief. “You had my heart racing there… DON’T DO THAT TO ME!!!!”
“Sorry… I couldn’t resist.” His grin widened.
“And you know what I can’t resist right now?” she asked him mischievously.
“What?”
She slapped him playfully in the face. “That.”
“Well, now that that’s over with…” he became a little more serious. “Can I talk to you?”
“You are right now, aren’t you?”
“Fine, be that way. You know what I meant, though.”
She suddenly got a tad bit nervous. “Sure.”
He led her to a quieter part of the hallway. “Look, um, this is hard to say, but…” He paused, and then looked softly at her. “I really like you.”
Her heart nearly stopped. “Really?”
“From the first time I saw you smile. You’re different than those other girls. You’re smart, funny, and don’t care what people think of you.
She blushed as he went on.
“The only reason I’m telling you this now is because… actually, I’m not exactly sure why I’m telling you this now.” He chuckled to himself. “But, what I do know is that you’re in pain right now, and I feel awful.”
As he continued, she looked at him in a new light. He was pretty cute, for a start. And most of the guys I’ve liked in the past have been really good friends before I developed feelings for them… He was definitely one of her really good friends.
“… and I want to be there for you all the time, whether you’re down or up-“
“I really like you too,” she finally said.
“Really?”
“Really.” She smiled up at him as they walked down the hallway to their next class. Together.
Her ex-boyfriend stood to the side already flirting with other girls, but he made an extra effort when she walked by. Not that she cared anymore. She had found a new boyfriend that was one of her best friends. They knew each other extremely well, and they had finally found each other. Everything felt right.

It's kind of a typical romantic piece, but this has a ring of truth to it.