Love is an Unexpected Thing: Part 1 | Teen Ink

Love is an Unexpected Thing: Part 1

By meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey
meganj SILVER, South Amboy, New Jersey

"You're going to come across people in your life who will say all the right words at all the right times. But in the end, it's always their actions you should judge them by. It's actions, not words, that matter." -Nicholas Sparks

His name was James. I didn’t want to like him. It was just something that kind of happened. It was a completely indescribable feeling. The moment I met him, I knew there was something there. I wasn’t so sure what the feeling was, since I had never been in love before, but I knew the it definitely meant something special.

He stood tall at 6’1. He had dark, shaggy hair, deep brown eyes, and tanned skin. James was one of those guys that were just so charming. He was friends with everyone and all the girls wanted him. James was the star of the basketball team and excelled at just about everything he did. He just had this way with words that made your heart melt. He was so outgoing and vivacious.

I’m just the girl that blends in. I’m 5’2 with long, brown hair, and hazel eyes. I’m shy and like to keep to myself. Of course, I have friends, but not like James. I would rather spend my time at the lake, reading a book, than going out to parties. I’m smart and I enjoy art.

It was the beginning of junior year. I knew of James, although I hadn’t met him personally. Everyone knew who James was. He wasn’t the kind of guy I could ever see myself being with.
He and I belonged to two different worlds. James just wasn’t my type.

I was walking down the hallway, looking for my best friend Hayden. I needed to borrow her pre calc book. When I found her, she was at her locker talking to some boy. That boy was James. I walked over to her locker.

“Hey Hayden. Can I borrow pre calc book? I forgot mine at home” I said.

“Yeah, of course.” She began to rummage through her locker. I looked up at James. I was staring at me, smiling at me. I cracked a slight smile.

“Hi, I’m James,” He said to me.

“Hi, I’m Samantha.”

“I’ve seen you around here, a lot.”

“Well, I do go to school here after all.” He laughed. My stomach was fluttering as if there were a million butterflies inside of it.

“Here’s the book,” Hayden interjected.

“Do you have pre calc now?” James asked.

“Yes I do,” I told him.

“Cool. Well, I have to go over that way, so how about I walk you to class?”

“Yeah, sure.”
James was walking to me to pre calc and let me tell you, that was something I never thought would happen. The hallway was mostly cleared out because the late bell was about to ring.

“Pre calc. That’s an honors class, right?” James asked.

“Yeah, it is.”

“So you’re smart?”

“I guess you could say that.” I chuckled a little.

“I like smart girls, especially if they’re pretty.” He smiled at me. I got those butterflies again. I’ve never quite gotten this feeling before. Sure, I’ve had boyfriends before, but none of them game me a feeling like this. I didn’t know what to say to his comment so I just kept on walking until we reached my class.

“What period do you have lunch?” James broke the silence and asked.

“Fifth.”

“Me too. Maybe I’ll see you then.” He smiled and walked off.
As I walked into pre calc, I was trying to figure out what had just happened. I figured he was just being nice, like he is to everyone else. I tried not to think anything of it.

To be continued..