CHAPTER 5 ][ A Perfect Place | Teen Ink

CHAPTER 5 ][ A Perfect Place

By CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington
CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

Kaede ][ CHAPTER 5 – A Perfect Place

“Oh boy, I'm getting worn out. Takeo, is there any chance we could rest for a moment? I need to regain some strength. I feel as if I'm being drained again and again,” I spoke up. Takeo was a few paces ahead of me on the trail, and he showed no intention of slowing down. “Takeo, we've been traveling without pause for almost a month. You can slow your steps.” I tried to get his attention.

“There looks like a small, undisturbed place over here, just behind this little hill,” He shouted back to me. I was sitting on a big flat rock, holding my stomach and grabbing for more food from the pack I brought. I'm almost out of food, I realized. Taking some bread, cheese and meat, I attempted to savor it and eat slowly, to no success. I called back to Takeo,

“See if it has any edible plants near by! We're running low on supplies, and I'm still very hungry.” My voice started to die away at the end of the sentence. Groaning loudly, I stood from my rock, and felt a pain in my stomach. It caused me to sit again, luckily I had the rock nearby. While I was recovering from my pain and waiting for Takeo to return, I realized why I was so hungry all the time, I was having stomach pains, I was getting exhausted often, and my abdomen was rounding.

“Takeo!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. It rang out among the mountains and echoed through the whole forest we had emerged from. Immediately he was by my side, huffing and puffing. I let him catch his breath again, and then spoke quietly. “I have something to tell you. It's very important. Ok?” I started, he nodded, not speaking. “I can't avoid it, and it's going to take a lot of care, and double the work we've been going through.” Another nod. “Takeo, remember the night we were in the meadow?” Takeo looked at me, his face unreadable for a little bit, and then he said slowly,

“Yes... I remember.”

“Do you recall what we did?”

“Yes.”

“Well,” I didn't know how to say this. “Takeo, I think I'm pregnant with a baby.”

Takeo froze. He did not move, look away from my gaze, or even breathe for the longest time. The world seemed to pause in it's life, and not even a slight breeze ruffled his clothes. Finally, a small smile broke out on his face, and he sat next to me.

“That's wonderful. This means we can start a family together.” Takeo rested his hand on my belly above mine, and kissed me gently. He pulled away, and I caught on that I was crying happy tears. I was so worried that he would react negatively that I had not thought of the possible good things that would come of this baby. Smiling with him now, I stood again, and we walked to the meadow that Takeo had uncovered earlier. Our hands found each other, and I was overtaken by a calmness I have not felt since I was young. When we turned the corner, I gazed upon the most elegant valley. To the right, a small creek ran steadily, in the centre stood a tall Oak tree, and close to us on the edge was a patch of bushes, including all sorts of berries. Raspberries, blackberries, even blueberries were scattered around the outskirts of our new home. Under everything was a blanket of soft green, swaying grass. Above everything was the sky, reaching down to touch the tall shadows which ringed the perfect home. Still grasping Takeo's hand, I laughed, and almost ran to the middle, where we twirled together. I kicked off my shoes, and I grew engrossed in the moment, the best moment of my life.

chapter 5. still the same school project.