Smile Sweetheart | Teen Ink

Smile Sweetheart

By Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Stupid Is As Stupid Does." -Forest Gump (;
"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."

“Smile sweetheart, this is your school picture, don’t you want it to look good?” the photographer said to me. I grimaced showing my teeth, and the camera flashed.
“Well... it looks… nice,” she tried to say nicely.
“Thanks,” I said gruffly. I’m not a big picture person; obviously she just figured that out. I hopped off the seat and walked out the door. Stupid woman, I thought to myself as I strolled down the hallway.
New schools sucked. After my parents got a divorce my mom took me out of my old high school and transferred me to Orville High. I was a total outcast. No one was willing to accept me because I liked dark colors and I didn’t look like everyone else. They were all like a bunch of clones with all their name brand clothes and accessories. I already hated school and we were only a month in. I was only a sophomore. I still had two more long years to go. What a drag that was going to be.
I was just turning the corner when I crashed into heavy body. We toppled to the floor with grunts.
“Ugh,” I said getting to my feet, “Sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going.”
“No problem, it’s cool,” the person said getting up. He flashed me a smile of forgiveness.
“I’m Nick Bradley.”
“I’m Morgan, Morgan Hoffman.” Where did this kid come from? I could have sworn I never saw him here, ever.
“Are you new here?” I asked curiously.
“No, just checking the school out. It seems pretty nice if you ask me.”
“Are you planning on coming here?”
He gave me a smile, “You’re pretty curious aren’t you?”
What an annoying kid! I frowned, and shrugged around him, making my way down the hallway. I heard his footsteps jogging after me, footsteps that had fallen in rhythm with mine.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to insult you.” He gave me an apologetic look. His green eyes soft, and half covered by is long, brown hair; with a smile still on his face.
“Anyways, yeah I was planning on coming here. After this I will probably just apply to see you again.”
I stopped walking abruptly. “What the heck is that suppose to mean?”
“Ah, I don’t know, just thought you would be an interesting friend.” He flexed his arms behind his head.
“Ugh, you are so annoying! Goodbye!” I began walking faster than I had before, my boots clanking loudly against the hallway floor, trying to escape from the annoying jerk behind me. His laugh echoed through the hall.
“Nice meeting you, Morgan!” he chuckled behind me.
“Moron,” I grumbled.
The rest of the day I couldn’t concentrate in my classes. Why was that Nick kid so fascinated with me? Nobody ever wanted to even be near me, none the less have a conversation with me. It pissed me off even more. Maybe he was just trying to annoy me. The bell made me jump out of my little dilemma in my head. Some of the other kids saw me and started snickering.
“Daydreaming about the dead, Morgan?” one of the football guys commented. I scowled in his direction, but didn’t say anything. I slowly rose from my seat and walked out the door followed by the whispers of my classmates behind me. I was so ready for the day to be over.
I saw Nick at the end of the day. His tour around the school, by some of the same kids who had laughed at me, was over. My locker was close to where they had huddled and I couldn’t help but watch them. He gave me a friendly smile and waved; I gave him a shy smile and a small wave. The guides looked at him like he was mental because he was waving at me, of all people.
“Why are you waving at her?” one said, followed by another nasty comment, “Morgan has no friends, I wouldn’t want you to be the first.” Nick glared at them with a hostile expression.
It seemed every time I saw Nick I got butterflies in the pit of my stomach. What was that suppose to mean? Did I like this strange guy that seemed oblivious to my anti-socialness? It’s not like he could possibly like me. I dressed in dark colors and put on too much makeup, while he wore bright colors and was a total hunk. He seemed sporty and likeable, while I was far from that. I sighed, threw my homework and books in my backpack, and closed my locker. Depressed by myself, I shuffled away from my locker and the group huddled around there.
“Thanks for the tour guys. Hopefully I can see you guys soon. Maybe I can beg my parents to pay extra to get me here sooner than later.” I heard his jogging behind me getting closer, until he was next to me. I didn’t look up at him; I just kept shuffling, staring at nothing.
“Hey stranger,” he said to me with humor. I refused to look at him. “So how was your day, Miss I’m Not Talking to Anyone?”
I stopped and faced him, “It was just lovely. Nothing like nasty remarks about everything I do. Yep, my day was super!” I huffed and began to shuffle on again.
“Yeah I noticed that the people here aren’t very nice to you. I’m not like that though. You can trust me on that.” He gave me a huge grin and threw him arm around my shoulders. I cringed.
“Maybe its best if you don’t hang around me. I would hate for people to make fun of you. It’s not fun, I promise you that Nick,” I said with a hint of sadness. He looked down on me with an expression I couldn’t read. Remorse maybe?
“That doesn’t matter to me. They can do their worse, but I’ll still be friends with you. I’m not the guy that will turn his back on a friend because he’s being made fun of for being friends with someone. Those kinds of people are jerks.” I looked in his eyes and saw that he meant it. I gave him a wide smile. That was the first time I smiled in forever, it felt good.
“You’re a good guy Nick. Thanks for sticking by my side, while no one else will. Means a lot to me.” I hoped he didn’t catch that in the wrong way. It would be so perfect for me to scare him off because he thought it meant I liked him.
“Yep, no problem Morgan. Well I should probably get going; my parents are probably waiting in the office. Hey, what’s your cell? Just in case I want to hang out sometime.”
I told him the number and started getting giddy inside. I tried to keep the smile off my face by biting down on my lower lip, chewing away nervously.
“Ok thanks,” he said while programming my number. “I’ll see if I can get into this school by Friday. I might have to pay some extra money but my parents aren’t worried about money these days. I’ll talk to you later. Bye Morgan.” He waved and walked down the hallway. I was so happy I could have screamed, but to avoid embarrassment all I did was grin as wide as my mouth would allow. My first friend, yes!

This is a story I'm attempting to write. This is only the first chapter, the rest of the story is still in progress, but I have a few chapters so far. So any comments and criticism about it so far would be much appreciated. If you guys like it, I'll put up the second chapter. Thanks (:

MajesticSunglasses, Topeka, Kansas

Well it looks like I am just gonna have to keep moving or else I am going to end up falling. Again. Jokes on life, I am not gonna stay down!

- I, myself

I can relate on the goth and anti-social . SO VERY MUCH. I wear lots of dark clothes and...sometimes Im not always talking...unless someone could get me to talk. If im focusing on something i get anti-social. anyways hahahha very nice story!

irishlass317 said...
irishlass317, Jefferson City, Missouri

"I asked Jesus 'How much do you love me?' He answered 'This much.' And He streched out His arms and died."

This is pretty good so far. I think that you could work a little more with the dialouge, make it seem a little more realistic, maybe. Good job, though! :)

SammyD.1722 BRONZE, New York, New York

Life is like painting. You can paint any way you want but you can't erase the mistake. (created by yours truly)

I thought it was pretty good 

on Jul. 11 2012 at 11:14 am
writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts

"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

I thought this was brilliant and please post the second chapter!!  Would you mind checking out my work?

on Jul. 11 2012 at 9:47 am
SirAreYouAsleep GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire

"Human's have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them." - Albus Dumblrdore

The dialogue is very plain, it's definately a good piece of writing, slow and such, but I feel like it all needs to run a lot softer. Other than that, it's very nice.

ignorance_is_bliss PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee

"This is what it is, this is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didn't wanna fall but I about to crawl
I met the one with two scarred hands"

-Newsboys, Born Again

YES, U SHOULD POST THE NEXT CHAPTER!! THIS IS AMAZING!

kelliemallen BRONZE, San Diego, California

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.
Henry Van Dyke

Is it bad that I can relate?

vazenitran98 said...
vazenitran98, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,I met a man who had no feet."

Amazing story. I like how you put much effort on the character and how it's nice and slow. The plot I mean. Keep writing! Lookin' forward to more! xD

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

I read this before and was surpirsed it didn't get first! :) i loved this story, still think it should've gotten first though ;)

trblue GOLD said...
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

i pulled some stories off of teenink and this was one of the stories i read over the summer. i was readin this and saying this is ok. but do u know my friend from school. she is ever bit of this girl. i just wanted to tell u.

mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

I love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

susiepoosie BRONZE, Everett, Washington
POST THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!!!!!!

Nick-M SILVER said...
Nick-M SILVER, Oak Park, Illinois

-FLTDO-

I agree, it was amazing but the way she thanked Nick seemed rather awkward.

xoxoLissieM SILVER, Manila, Other

"Stop acting dumb cause your usually the smart one and I'm the dumb one!"

i lyk it alot..nice job!!

BleedingRose PLATINUM, Frederic, Wisconsin

*The darkness holds infinite possibilities.

(mine)

Excellent job niki! I'm going to read the next chapters right away, this was totally awesome sauce!

-Rose

e-mm57 said...
e-mm57, Emeryville, Other
this story was really good niki !!

i loved it cant wait for you to finish it.

love your work ! <3

Alanna SILVER said...
Alanna SILVER, Jeffersonville, Indiana
I thought it was good but I got a little confused. I wasn't sure how she felt about Nick because at first he was annoying and then she kinda liked him...

LittleRedWritingHood, Nfdslf, Hawaii
I really like it. I feel like reading the next chapter after reading this, but I also found some things that I didn't think were very realistic. Here's some:

1) I don't know. I think that the entire school hating her because of the way she dresses is kind of unrealistic. I mean, I guess they might ignore her most of the time or not really take much notice of her, but I don't think that absolutely everyone should be total jerks to her. Sure, it's fine to have some select people to be jerks, but not everyone.

2) At first the main character seems like the type to basically hold a bunch of her emotions inside of her, and would have trouble even saying a simple "thanks" but when she says, "You're a good guy Nick. Thanks for sticking by my side, while no one else will. Means a lot to me." it kinda ruins that image I got of her. It just didn't seem like something she would say, especially since Nick still hadn't really done all that much for her yet. Maybe she could say thanks to him in a simpler way now, and could save that more personal thanks for later, if he ever does anything that really helps her out a bunch, but it's also fine if you keep it the way it is. It's just a thought.

Well, I think you did everything really nicely for the most part, and I truly enjoyed it. You did a good job of keeping my attention, because a lot of the time after reading somebody's work I feel a bit bored, but I didn't with yours. Keep writing, you're good at it!

Lovable SILVER said...
Lovable SILVER, London, Other

The whole world is a stage
^^^thats it really

This was really amazing. I couldn't even take my eyes off it for one minute. What i really like about it is the fact that this boy is suddenly interested in her. It kept me wondering, is there a reason why he is doing so? Cant wait to read more!

x0x0Luckyx0x0 SILVER, Enterprise, Utah

"Killing under the cloak of war is still murder.."-Albert Einstein.

I love your work!

This piece is amazing.