The Duke pt.2 | Teen Ink

The Duke pt.2

By hollyjolly BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
hollyjolly BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

His eyes were cold, an icy gray that showed no mercy, no warmth or softness anywhere in his undoubtedly black soul. White-blond hair cut short, clothing a dark, simply cut tunic and trousers, Marie could see he wasn’t one to tolerate such inconveniences such as long hair and stiff formal wear in the name of fashion. Before, out in the world, it might have been a relief to find a noble that wasn’t as caught up in being in fashion as all of them seem to be. But now it only served to make him more intimidating.

Despite her fear, Marie lifted her chin and met his gaze squarely. He wasn’t going to know he had her knees knocking beneath her skirts.

Marie took a risk and broke the silence that had settled between them, “Would you be so kind as to tell me exactly why I am here?” An edge of defiance had come into her voice.

Surprise was evident in his eyes at her question. “Didn’t Rita tell you?”

“You mean the old serving woman? She told me nothing.”

“So you have no idea at all of why you’re here?” He asked.

Marie’s patience was coming to its end. This was her life they were talking about here, and this ‘duke’ was treating it as a kind of game! “No, I have no idea why I’m here. Why else would I be asking?!” By now Marie had her hands on her hips, feet spread wide for balance, and was shooting darts through her eyes at the man.

He leaned against a desk behind him, a smirk of pleasure at her frustration marring his handsome features. His eyes grew even colder, if that was possible. He was the picture of nonchalance, looking as if he had all the time in the world to answer. But he knew Marie wouldn’t wait that long.

“Why my dear,” He finally said, in his beautifully deep, rich voice that sounded sickeningly sweet to Marie at the moment, “what reason could there be except that you will become my new bride?”

The world became fuzzy to Marie, and started to spin. Only after she steadied herself against the door and took a few deep breaths did everything return to normal. Except nothing was normal just then. This situation hadn’t even occurred to Marie as a possibility for being kidnapped; it had just seemed too absurd.

The Duke had started toward her when she began to wobble and leaned toward the door, concern softening his stone eyes though Marie couldn’t see it, but she now swatted away his hand. She wouldn’t let this monster touch her, let alone marry her. Who abducts innocent girls then forces them to marry him? How many times had he done this before?
Marie was afraid of the answers she would receive.

The duke's character is turning out to be a bit different than I first thought it to be...

Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink BRONZE, Gueydan, Louisiana
Please do not stop i am on the edge of my seat...literally

Hay.467 SILVER said...
Hay.467 SILVER, Hide-a-way, Texas

"a man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar" mark twain

REALLY GOOD!!! more plz!!!