Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

September 24, 2009
By Anonymous

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.


The author's comments:
COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


Kawee said...
on Aug. 31 2022 at 4:28 pm
Kawee, Grayson, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”

@shygirl1457
It's basically the same story for me too. Our relationship was a long distance relationship and I had just turned 14 when we started dating. We were together for almost 1 year and he got into an accident. So, we couldn't talk for awhile but when he got back to me, he told me that we should breakup and that he had found someone else in that time period that we didn't talk. I was so devastated and immediately blocked him afterwards. I had stopped cutting a few years back due to a personal reason. But after that breakup, I started cutting again. I would just stay up late crying over him, thinking of our memories together and blocking family and friends from my life. One day, my best friend decided it was enough and brought me out of the house. When my best friend first brought me out of the house, I would just drag myself through the streets. But, she brought me to a restaurant and talked to me about her first breakup and how much damage she had done to her family and friends when she blocked them out like I was doing at the time, Eventually, we ended up going to almost every shop and had a movie date with some of our other friends and had a blast. Soon after that, I started returning to my normal self with the help of my best friend who kept me on the right track whenever I would stray away from it. Just like everyone else on here saying how breakups hurt and everything. It does, it really does. But you have to keep in mind that no matter who you are dating, you will always have someone who has your back no matter what. In my case, it was my best friend. It may be someone else for you guys. But if you guys do breakup due to a bad reason, just remember that you have your family and friends who will help you through anything. So keep your head held high and keep moving forwards no matter what life throws at you.

on Feb. 25 2022 at 3:44 am
Mystify PLATINUM, Shanghai, Other
20 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Wow, this has really changed my perception of how breakups are. I've never been through one, but, after reading this, I hope those of you that have may stay forever strong.

shygirl1457 said...
on Nov. 2 2020 at 6:27 am
shygirl1457, Gales Ferry, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can't blame gravity for falling in love.
-Albert Einstein

My life has been so hard to cope with my last relationship was for 3 years and he broke up with me over email and when we broke up it was so hard for me because I had loved him for so long and he did not realize that I have anxiety and depression he never asked me about what I had done. I don't even know who I am anymore it is so hard for me to leave him. I still cry over him because he was one guy I truly loved... He does not know that I cut and I still do because it's so hard for me to get over him and I don't know when I will be able to. I still cut to this day because I feel like everything is my fault. He is dating my best friend and I don't know how to feel about it. I still cut and it's hard for me to stop because I just need to be loved my mom hates me so does my dad. I just need a good loving boyfriend that will stay with me even though my past isn't that great... I just need someone to help me stop this anger, anxiety, depression. I just need a guy who will love me for me...

dpurdy said...
on Apr. 13 2016 at 12:18 pm
dpurdy, Craryville Ny, New York
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
always love yourself no matter what.

trust me i went though a brake-up i was sad about it

on Nov. 10 2013 at 6:06 am
Shaas_It_is.. BRONZE, Udupi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
Happiness presents itself before man with a crown of sorrow. He who accepts it must accept both.
-Swami Vivekananda

Don't be led by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Trust me!! I cried every single night of my life over a guy that I loved truly.. And also because he broke up with me twice over trivial reasons like his mind has changed over me.. He was perfect and still is and i've been worse, i've cried and been depressed and lost myself thinking I would never ever be complete or happy again but guys u can only be complete if u love yourself wholely first.. Beautiful piece can totally relate to it.. And yes, no matter how bad or how hard the breakup you will rise and live a better life although there will always be a hollow somewhere deep down in your heart but you'll survive.. :) PS: If a guy breaks up with you because his mind keeps changing about you and if after two and a half years he suddenly decides to come back and beg you back into his life with the most tearful and sincerest apologies..Don't believe him because he will change again!!  Really frustrated!! I know!!.. :P

on Jan. 30 2013 at 11:38 am
KassandraMichelle263451 SILVER, Charlott, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss

thanks now i know how to deal with an ex

on Jan. 6 2013 at 6:30 pm
In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 389 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Wow, looking at the comments below, many people could relate to this. Great job! And please read, rate, and comment on my stories. You'll make me soo happy :)

on Dec. 21 2012 at 12:02 pm
wolfexeder BRONZE, Chubbuck, Idaho
1 article 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
the pain will go away but the scares will remain.

i wish kimber would have looked at this befor she hert me i just wish i knew why

wiesnerlover said...
on Dec. 13 2012 at 2:22 pm
wiesnerlover, Standish, California
0 articles 1 photo 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you.'

That was great you should write more on topics such as that it is really helpful

on Sep. 10 2012 at 8:54 am
bintyousuf BRONZE, Fairfax, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments
Hi, I was in a similar situation to yours. My boyfriend and I had a one-of-a-kind relationship; we cared deeply for each other...or so I thought. I went on a four-day trip - it was the longest time we'd gone without seeing one another, thought we still emailed and chatted all during the trip. But when I got back from my trip, he was acting all weird and when I finally got to the bottom of things, I found out that he liked someone else. He broke up with me. We got back together 3 weeks later, but after a few months he broke up with me again because he liked someone else. I stopped talking to him after that; some months later he chatted me up and we started talking again. The third time he asked me out I said yes just because I was so sure I loved him; every time we talked I had a huge smile on my face. Well we broke up again, this time because he'd kissed another girl. He asked me out a fourth time. I was so tempted to say yes - what we'd had was amazing. I really wanted to be with him. But did I really want to go through all that stuff again? I said no. What I think is that, just like me, this boy was your first love. He'll always be a part of you and you'll always have SOME feelings for him, but what those really are, are memories. And someday those will become JUST memories. You may not ever be able to exactly move on from him, and you may think that maybe you can fix your relationship or that it will all be good, but truth is, that almost never happens.

on Jul. 18 2012 at 4:36 am
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
11 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

Aw, it's by a guys! Shucks, haha. I like it, be careful with spelling, though! PLEASE do check out some of my stuff if you can!

Mkla-H8n GOLD said...
on Jul. 11 2012 at 8:31 pm
Mkla-H8n GOLD, Chilhowie, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Friends are temporary, but Sisters are forever" By me.Its something about us being sisters that keep us as friends.
"Parenta will love you no matter what!" I LOVE my parents and I know they LOVE me too! :)

I was going out with a guy and he broke up with me and wouldn't even tell me!!!!! It was in the middle of P.E. and I wouldnt have known if my friend didn't tell me! he broke up with me the day before valentines day.

on Jun. 7 2012 at 10:50 pm
Iwas going out with a guy for almost a year. We were both 12 and it was my first real relationship. we had a really healthy relationship, but it was getting too good. We made out and he grabbed my butt. that made me start thinking about a breakup and it all went downhill from there n i broke up with him cuz it just wasnt going well. now, almost a year later i realized how good our relationship was, but we really dont talk anymore. i started talking to him as much as i could n i ended up telling him how i fell now n what my mind was saying then. he appreciated it, and agreed it wasnt going well. i am starting to have feelings for him again, but idk if he'll ever take me back. what should i do?

on May. 30 2012 at 7:43 am
Don't have a lot of cash to buy a building? You should not worry, just because this is achievable to take the loans to work out such kind of problems. Thence take a term loan to buy all you require.

on Apr. 23 2012 at 1:17 pm
Whitney Smith BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I think most people can relate to something like this. I can very well. It can also be related to a break up with a friend so many different people can relate. Very well worded.

on Apr. 23 2012 at 10:38 am
kimberdawn SILVER, Sedalia, Missouri
7 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
The sun, with all these planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it has nothing else in the universe to do.









~Galileo

I wish that worked....

on Apr. 23 2012 at 10:37 am
kimberdawn SILVER, Sedalia, Missouri
7 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
The sun, with all these planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it has nothing else in the universe to do.









~Galileo

My bf and I just broke up after being together for 3 months...its been hard...I find myself constantly thinking about him and looking at him...I have tried to talk to him and work this out so that we can at least be friends but he wont respond....but I catch him staring at me...I don't know how he feels about me but I know I still care about him. I have given him his space in hopes that he will work his problems out but I can't help but see his pain. I don't know what to do....should I confront him again??? I am so lost. 

on Mar. 31 2012 at 6:13 pm
Elena Le BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
d recently broke up with me .. Well my ex.. We still talk and its really confusing , he tells me he still loves me, but i ask myself if he still does why did he break up with me. He thinks im heart broken, well actually no one truely is heart broken, their hurt. If someone really was heart broken they'd be dead. But i miss being able to tell him i love him, i miss being able to tell the world he's mine. Everything is hard, but one advice i got in 4 simple words helped me through .. " it will get better "

on Mar. 6 2012 at 6:52 pm
swimmergirl328 GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
If everyone else's dreams can come true why can't mine.

I reacently broke up with my boyfriend and he still wants to be friends. but i am not sure if i can take him back. the moment i broke up with him he ran off with my friend, but when i talk about seeing other guys he gets mad. im not sure what to do. i really like one of his good friends, but i dont want to hurt my ex. yeah, sometimes life is confusing

missdolly said...
on Feb. 20 2012 at 9:23 am
missdolly, West Henrietta, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“I'm not telling you it's going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.”
-Art Williams

I definitely agree. It's terrible when you like someone and they have no idea you exist. It helps us realize that sometimes things are meant to be a certain way.