Romeo's Journal | Teen Ink

Romeo's Journal

By missliss SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
missliss SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

sometimes strength is not measured by holding on to something, but by letting go.

O, my aching heart hurts me so. How I wish Rosaline would not have to go. Deny my proposal did she, which causes me to dwell in immense misery. My parents are worried but I do not care, I could only think of my loneliness in the depths of despair. Isolated in my chamber am I, secluded in darkness from morning till nigh’. To put an end to my horrible mood, Benvolio and Mercutio made an offer I could not elude. We would go to a masked ball where Rosaline would be, although she would not be the only beauty to see. Much to my surprise, I saw another woman that was easy on the eyes. O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright! It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night as a rich jewel in an Ethiop’s ear—beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear. So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows as yonder lady o’er her fellows shows. The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand and, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand. Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight, for I ne’er saw true beauty till this night. As I watched her gracefully dance across the marble floor, I knew my search for a soul mate was nevermore. From the moment I saw her; I swear it was true, that she was meant for me as the sky was to be blue. Immediately I went to her side, to show her I loved her as much as the ocean was wide. It all started with one light kiss, where I knew our future would contain absolute bliss. From what I learned after we parted, I was afraid that our relationship should never have started. For the lady was from the loins of my family foe, a union between us would be forced to forgo. By fate Juliet is my lover and I must protest, and we shall be wed before I will rest. I would rather die than to live without her in my life. By the power of my love, I will fight to make her my wife.

Aye, ‘twas a brilliant ball, but my heart was not content. I had to answer its call before the day was spent. My love gave me wings to fly o’er the wall, for its power cannot be measured in width or how tall. Just one more gaze upon her virtuous form, a serene beauty that could quell a storm. My soul’s thirst was quenched as the stars allowed, for me to see my angel floating upon a cloud. Up in the balcony I saw Juliet ponder, an opportunity I dare not squander. By the light of the moon we expressed our love to one another. Our love which we would ne’er let our feuding families smother. We made arrangements to be wed by the hour of nine, where I will be forever bound to a woman so divine. With haste I went to the cell of the friar. He agreed to marry us though are actions were dire. What follows is what I spaketh to this man, informing him of our holy matrimony plan. “Then plainly know my heart’s dear love is set on the fair daughter of rich Capulet. As mine on hers, so hers is set on mine, and all combined, save what thou must combine by holy marriage. When and where and how we met, we wooed, and made exchange of vow. I’ll tell thee as we pass, but this I pray, that thou consent to marry us today.” After my visit with the friar I caught up with my friends on the street. During a dual of wits there was a Nurse to greet. She is the messenger of my lover from whom the glorious words she speaks have once passed the lips of Juliet like crystal water through creeks. I told the Nurse to stay behind the abbey wall, where my man will bring cords in no time at all. Within the abbey late at night, Juliet’s entrance to the friar’s cell made darkness into light. Her sweet breath reminded me of all the joy we shall share. This exhilaration I feel is almost too much to bear. With God as our witness we will be united, I do not think I could be any more excited.

Why must such a dreadful time succeed a perfectly marvelous day? Too many lives were set forth for a person to slay. That person I dare say was no other but me. For into eternal life I set those men free. This day’s black fate on more days doth depend. This but begins the woe others must end. Mercutio was so eager to fight for reasons unknown. With Tybalt who is now considered one of my own. When he maliciously stabbed my friend, our kinship was forgotten. I was quick to seek revenge on a man so rotten. If I wouldn’t have tried to stop them, Mercutio’s life could have been spared. Looking at my future, I wouldn’t have had to be so scared. O Juliet, you have made me soft as your skin and the contours of your face. Now my name and reputation is a disgrace. Once Friar Lawrence told me of my punishment, it was not what was expected. Instead of death I was to leave Verona, from where I was rejected. This conclusion was meant to be gentler than execution but living life with out a lover was not a good solution. Living life without Juliet was like a person living life without air. Just give me death for this suffering is not fair! Envious am I of all the creatures, which will have the pleasure of being with Juliet and her beautiful features. I was on the ground wailing like I was under a curse, when I heard a knock on the door which was Juliet’s nurse. She brings news of how Juliet is taking this woeful time. She says Juliet weeps o’er her cousin’s death by crime. After hearing these words I pulled out my knife, for I am considered a murderer by my innocent wife. Before I got desperate enough to take my own life, Friar Lawrence made a plan to help quell my strife. I was to escape to Juliet’s chamber for one last adieu, but I was forced to leave for Mantua before the sun was in view. But that a joy past calls out on me, it were a grief so brief to part with thee. Farewell.

‘Twas a brilliant sleep I had last night. The dreams made me feel everything was going to be all right. The dreams were mostly of my beautiful Juliet and the kisses we shared the night we met. My heart and soul replenished, my hopes are high. My uplifted spirit makes me feel I can fly. Good news is bound to come today, of my sweet Juliet and her health I pray. In one of my dreams it was my health that was restored. With her kiss I rose from the dead and became a lord. Just to think of our affection makes me light as a feather. Imagine the joy I will have once we are together. O, here comes Balthasar with some news of my city! If Juliet be well there is nothing in the world I could pity. I hope he brings letters that were sent by the friar. Who is mending relationships with people I admire. What Balthasar told me would bring my cheerful disposition to an end. Such a tragic event from which no heart could mend. My wife has suddenly passed away. In the Capulet tomb is where she shall forever lay. From hearing this news I feel a part of me is gone. I am as incomplete as a day without dawn. Those days have nights and those nights have stars. Stars which have left me nothing but internal scars. I shall leave tonight to be with my lady in her tomb. We will be together forever as bride and groom. To join her in the heavens, I have thought of a way. I would make a visit to a poor apothecary who is not far away. His clothes are tattered and his looks are weak. He is a desperate man for his future is bleak. When asked about an illegal poison, at first he winced. Because he was so desperate for money, he was easily convinced. I needed a toxin that will take my life fast. I wanted too see Juliet before I breathed my last. Come, cordial and not poison, go with me to Juliet’s grave, for there must I use thee.

Later that night we went to the graveyard by horse. These rash actions came with no feelings of remorse. I was content upon what I was to do. I made few last preparations for my final adieu. One of which was a letter addressed to my kin, about the entire story that was behind my sin. In this letter I described my love for Juliet and our short-lived marriage which I will never regret. I gave this letter to Balthasar for him to send, and I also gave him money for being a good friend. I told him that whatever happened inside the grave, he should ne’er enter should his limbs be to save. Stay not, begone, live and hereafter say a madman’s mercy bid thee run away. With my torch, crowbar, and poison in hand, I was ready to carry out the deed I had planned. The tomb which I face is like a giant clam. It holds the most precious pearl, gentle as a lamb. Jealous would be all its brothers, for this clam will have two pearls, unlike the others. After prying open its jaws I will throw my body inside, and lay myself down by my beautiful bride. Before I could do this there was an obstacle in my way. Whoever will keep me from my love is who I shall slay. After a dual, my opponent had failed. Looking at his body his name was unveiled. It was the County Paris who asked to be placed in the tomb, where he lay near Juliet in the vast open room. How warm Juliet’s body is in a place so cold. Her beauty still sparkles like the magnificence of gold. Not even death is powerful enough to extinguish this flame. Her body is too beautiful for the heavens to claim. I wanted all my senses to overflow with every inch of Juliet before I go. With a kiss on her lips, I sealed my fate. The poison worked so fast there was no time to wait. Little did I know that if I waited a few moments longer, my dead wife wake would get much stronger. With the same reason I took my life, she would take her own. With my dagger she pierced her chest and did not die alone.

This is my version of Romeo and Juliet from Romeo's perspective. Yes I am aware that the dates I provided are probably not accurate, but I made them up for fun. Enjoy!

elvinchangling55 SILVER, Malverne, New York
charming! i love it!!! i especially love the way you included much of the true text. very clever!!!!!