Number four | Teen Ink

Number four

By alienbaby SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
alienbaby SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

A warm breeze brushed against her golden skin as she sat on the cold and rough metal bleachers. It was a beautiful spring day and she was spending it watching her school's baseball game. She was one of five of the only people watching the game, not many people attended the games but she was there for every single one of them. She never understood the sport but that didn’t matter she was only there to watch number four. A tap on her shoulder broke her out of her trance and she turned to see her best friend.

“Stop staring Ranee he’s going to think you’re stalking him.” Ranee’s best friend Alyssa said in a joking manner.

“I was not staring.” Ranee said with a roll of her eyes “I was just glancing.”

“That’s what you say every time, just go talk to him already.’’

Staring at her best friend in disbelief she scoffed and said “No…he doesn’t even know I exist.”

“Trust me he does,” Alyssa says strongly as her eyes rotate back to the field.

Following her best friend's eyes she makes direct eye contact with the boy they had just been talking about. A scarlet blush creeps up her cheeks and she could practically feel her face on fire. Ranee has never liked someone the way she liked the boy who wore jersey number four, she has never spoken to him but like she always tells Alyssa ‘’The heart wants what it wants.’’. Every day she hoped and prayed that one day he would notice her and approach her. Watching the game continue they have now reached the seventh inning and Ranee’s school team is one point ahead of the other team. It has been an intense game and even though Ranee nor Alyssa knew what was going on they were both on the edge of their seats. Coaches were screaming from both sides and you could tell both teams were giving their all. As the game continues Ranee notices number four whispering something to his teammate before going up to bat. Watching every step he takes up to bat she wonders what he said, as he reaches the plate he turns to look at Ranee and smiles. She doesn’t know how to react and just stares at him with a faint smile creeping up her face. 

“What was that?” Alyssa asks with a huge smirk spread across her face.

“I have no idea,” Ranee says breathlessly feeling very anxious.

“I think he might..” Alyssa is cut off by a loud pop created by number four’s bat hitting the ball.

Screams are coming from both teams as number four runs each and every base making it back to home plate. All of the players from Ranees school runs onto the field screaming and jumping excitedly that they have won yet another game. Ranee smiles as she notices the giant grin on number fours face, she could tell he was very happy to lead his team to victory. The best friends begin to pack up their stuff to head home but they are stopped when Ranee feels and hand on her shoulder. Frightened she turns around quickly only to see number four's face smiling down at her. 

“I wanted you to have this.” number four says as he hands her the winning ball. “The team and I really appreciate seeing you at every game!’’

‘’Um than- thank you,” Ranee says with a little stutter

Looking down at the ball she sees it has something written on it ‘To my favorite fan, Love Jonathan’.

‘’I hope to see you at the rest of the games,’’ Jonathan says happily before walking away.

Ranee smiles feeling like this is the start of something beautiful.