When a girl meets her blade | Teen Ink

When a girl meets her blade

By Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey
Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey

"To love is to live. Without love, what is life?"

"You can't be ruining your life like this Jade." The cold words running through the lips of an aged women, one I knew so well and referred to as mom. A disappointed sigh followed and I knew where this was going. I tugged on my sleeve to pull it up a little higher

"Mom it's not something I can help..." I looked at the tiled floor of our house. I tried to cough back those little tears that wanted to be free. I couldn't. I wouldn't. Not in front of my mom. Maybe, when I'm alone, in my room, to the comfort of myself, yes. But not here, not now.

"Those cuts. Jade stop. You can't keep doing this to yourself. You had it all, cheer squad, good friends, and look what you're doing. Ruining it for a blade." Her grey spotted brown hair shook with her raging words. It hurt, you know, to have your mom be honestly disappointed in you. But for what? Being screwed over by the world and taking out the rage on yourself?

"Mom it's not that simple..."

"But Jade it is! Just through them out. Meet new people. Have a better life."

"Mom.."

"Jade change yourself come on just do it. This is stupid you can't really be addicted to it..."

"LOOK MOM. It isn't easy to make a change okay? Maybe if you hadn't f***ed me over in my life then I wouldn't be here. Maybe if you hadn't ruined my whole childhood by driving dad away, completely ignored me, and abused the hell out of me, maybe we wouldn't be here. Maybe I would still be fine, living your dream that you want me so desperately to fulfill. I'm not perfect."

I walked away. Picking up my books, my food, and my jacket, wadding to my room. I dropped everything on my bed, opened up my Macbook Pro, and started banging out a writing piece.

"When a girl meets her blade."