Knowing | Teen Ink

Knowing

By Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon

How naïve she was before; so innocent, so carefree, but within a moment, her world was turned upside down. The curve in her lips disappeared, the bounce in her hair became nonexistent, and the gleam in her eye faded to a hard glare of knowing. Knowing the world isn’t full of happy endings, and fantasies. That the world is full of cold hard truths where there is violence, duplicity, betrayal, and deception. When you begin to learn the rules for a new tough world, you realize that when you’re in a rough situation, there’s not always going to be a knight in shining armor to rescue you, there’s not going to be a gleaming white stallion waiting for you to hop on and gallop away. You begin to comprehend that this new world is built up of risks. Risking not being loved back when you fall for him. Risking failure when you try. Risking being denied when you offer friendship. She had risked for him. She had risked everything for him. Every risk she took was building up for this moment. For her to understand the world.