Discovering the Purpose of Life | Teen Ink

Discovering the Purpose of Life

July 22, 2021
By musafirah SILVER, East Elmhurst, New York
musafirah SILVER, East Elmhurst, New York
8 articles 25 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Speak a good word or remain silent"- Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)


After a long yet memorable last day of school, fifteen-old Maryam came home to her parents adding some final touches to their home. As she walked towards her mother, she gave Maryam a few kisses on her cheek. That was exactly what Maryam was waiting for, realizing that everything was worth it. Every single second of what she calls, "trial and error" was worth it.

Even though the entire day went smoothly, Maryam's heart just was not as content as she wanted it to be. There was just something missing, but she did not know what it was nor did she have any plans searching for it.

In between Maryam's prayers, her mother told her to get ready to go outside. Maryam was so excited even though going outside was something part of her regular schedule, especially since for the past few months she had to transport to school. She had a comforting feeling about what was about happen that night. The gut feeling you get when you just know everything will play along well, hopefully.

It was Maryam, her parents, baby sister, uncle and aunt in the car. They had no exact plans on what they were doing or where they were going. Maryam's parents decided to get some food and enjoy the rest of the night together at a park that was very dear to their hearts. Nothing too special, but everything just so ideal. As they drove to the park, Maryam's older brother texted her to know how the last day of school went for her. Once again, Maryam was reminded of everything that happened in school earlier that day and smiled a warm one. She had flashbacks of everything that happened; walking to get the certificate she was praying for, the smile her teacher gave at her, and of course, the countdown for the start of summer vacation.

Once Maryam and her family arrived to the park, they searched for a comforting place to sit and relax. They sat near the river, enjoying the outstanding city view of New York. As Maryam and her family ate pizza, Maryam looked at the light from the buildings creating a reflection on the water. Maryam looked up at the waxing crescent moon surrounded by the clear blue sky, then at the body of water beneath her, and lastly at the leaves dangling off its branches. At that moment, Maryam realized two things; this outing was exactly what she needed and the purpose of life.


The author's comments:

A short, yet heartwarming narrative about a teenager's last day of school and start of a new chapter of her life, discovering its purpose.