Protector | Teen Ink

Protector

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

I am the protector. The guardian of the night. When all stills and the world grows silent, there I stand. Silent. Watching, waiting. I am the night. I am the shadow. I am as quiet as an owl and as quick as the leopard. I am Amynta. I stalk the night. They don't see me coming until it's too late. I am the protector.

Night fell. The darkness greeted me. No moon this night. I followed my charge to her room and watched her fall asleep until her breathing evened. The shadows wouldn't harm her. I sat alert, blending into the darkness. I was darkness.

She smiled in her sleep, knowing I watched over her. Obviously. Nothing else stood to save her. My blue eyes glowed softly. They were the only thing visible. Slitted pupils. Slitted throats of unseen enemies.

My ears perked. I heard something! An enemy. Not for long. I stalked silently, scarring it with delibrite sounds until it fled it's hiding spot. It tried to run across the wide open space. I wanted to laugh. This was my ground. Swift and silent, and it was dead.

The next morning she woke up. I leapt to her bed and smiled smugly in her face, holding the body of the foolish mouse in my teeth. She stared at me, with what could only be deep admiration, and carried away the mouse to dispose of it.

I loved her. Always and forever. Every day she fed me, and I sat for hours on her lap, shedding l her while she stroked my jet fur. Every night guarding her. I wish she could hear me. I only want to say one thing. I say it, every day, in my actions, in my purr, in my meow. If I could speak in her toungue for one moment I would say,

“I love you, always, to my final breath. I will always love you. I will always guard you. I will always be your shadow. You are my everything. I will do anything for you.”

something happy and beautiful!

i would like to clarify, I am not referring to romantic love. that would be weird.