God's Appearance | Teen Ink

God's Appearance

By Calliashi SILVER, Litchfield Park, Arizona
Calliashi SILVER, Litchfield Park, Arizona

The man with the key is king and honey, you should see me in a crown. ~James Moriarty

"When darkness falls
and creatures come,
why do children stay out,
not run?"
A hand shot up into the air as Mr. Martin finished reciting the poetry. He looked curiously over the crowd and saw a young boy with matted black hair. Weeds and twigs stuck and intertwined throughout the greasy mess; it almost looked like a rat’s nest. He wore a single cloth that was tattered and worn. Several holes ran in and out of the clothing and it hung just above his knees. He had no shoes and his feet were covered in blisters. A storm had been pouring and he was drenched from head to foot. His skin was colored, and yet he had bright blue eyes that flowed with the image of wisdom. But, despite his good points, the boy appeared to have walked right out of a sewer.
“What kind of sewer rat boy like you doing here?” Mr. Martin asked, gesturing around him. He himself wore a navy blue suit with a black bow tie. He had a clean, shaven face and dark blue eyes and had balding gray hair that was thick and fuzzy where it was prevalent. His dark leather shoes had been polished wonderfully. The people of the crowd were rich folk of which men all wore suits of dark colors and woman wore huge dresses of all colors. The women had curled hair and brimmed hats trimmed with lace. Several carried small umbrellas, usually snow white or a subtle variation of white. Overall the whole seminar’s audience dressed like they were from an opera. The building itself was as big as the city hall. A crystal chandelier hung high in the center of the ceiling, way over the heads of the people. Huge windows appeared along one wall. A grand staircase spiraled up in the building’s furthest floors. Red carpeting and intricate tiles lied under the feet of the crowd.
The young boy looked around the room, but still his hand stayed high in the air. The head of the seminar gestured for him to speak.
“Sir,” he started.
“Mr. Martin.” The man gave him a stern look.
“Many apologies, Mr. Martin. I was just around town when I heard of this wondrous seminar. I wanted to come and hear you wisdom, but if you can’t answer the simplest of riddles such as that, then I doubt how wise you really are.”
Mr. Martin starred at him, appalled. “That was but not a riddle, young man. Just a piece of poetry by Luther Stolks the second! Nothing more!” A flash of lightning outside made the shadows jump and flicker on the wall.
The boy laughed and made his way through the crowd. As he passed, many people wiped where they were touched with a handkerchief. He stopped and stood in front of the man. “That, sir, is where you are wrong. Stolks was a very famous poet, yes, but not many people realize just what the true meaning of his work is.” He turned to the crowd. “‘When darkness falls and creatures come, why do children stay out, not run?’ is one of his more famous poems. Many people think he refers to ‘when dark falls’ as in ‘the sun sets’, but that’s not correct. The ‘creatures’ are supposedly the monstrosities of the world such as murderers or kidnappers. Also incorrect. The darkness refers to the darkness inside of people and the world. The creatures are the evil things that enter us and make us do unfortunate things.” He turned back to the head of the seminar. “The children stay and play because it’s actually the good inside of us that’s trying to shed some of the good deeds and force the evil out. So, basically, what he means is,” He again turned to the crowd. “’When demons come and try to play, get the good out to keep evil away.’”
The crowd starred at him in awe, amazed at how such a young boy can have the wisdom and knowledge to uncover and break down the poetry. He turned back to Mr. Martin. “I hope I’ve helped you understand poetry better. And Luther Stolks.” He thought for a moment and added, “May this also help you with your everyday life, and you know not to judge people so easily.” He stood taller and walked briskly around the crowd to the door of the enormous building.
“Wait!” Mr. Martin called out. “What’s your name?”
The boy chuckled and looked back. “You’ll see me once more. Only once and after that, you may even feel sad. So cherish all that you have, and all your friends and family around you, for later in life you may not have them. Yes, you’ll meet me once more. Way up in the sky.” He gave them a cheery smile and walked out the door. The storm had raged on, but as soon as he stepped outside, the rain stopped and the clouds cleared, leaving a trail of sunshine.

TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

OMG this is amazing! I mean, like wow. You could tell the kid wasn't just any kid but still it was like a bombshell being dropped on you in the end. And the message of this story was so...i'm speechless. This has got to be one of your bests.

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

I really liked the idea of this story.  It was very nice.  There were some grammatical and spelling problems, but all in all this was a very neat little story.  I enjoyed it very much.  :)