Monte | Teen Ink

Monte

By MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California
MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California

"Christus nos liberavit!"

My name is Monte. I never wanted to be like this. A freak. I never wanted to have four eyelids. I never wanted to have purple eyes with slits for pupils. I never wanted to have such clarity in my vision so I notice anything and everything, or hearing so sensitive that the sound of a balloon popping doubles me over, holding my ears in pain. My gag reflex has to be under the strictest control because of my sense of smell. I run like no one before. I’m as nimble and poised as a cat.

And now, they have me. Now I’m stuck in a cage in a very dimly lit room (still bright as day to me, though) with other creatures that make me try my hardest not to vomit at.

I had a relatively normal life, before this. I lived at my home with a mom that thought she understood me and a dad who thought he loved me. I had permission from my parents and the staff at my school to wear sunglasses in class. Other kids though I was a freak, of course, so that part is nothing new. They didn’t understand me. They didn’t know what my eyes looked like, though. Even the few friends I had, even when they came over, didn’t see behind them. They were my protection.

They took that away from me. Now I’m alone in a room full of…creatures. I’m not even sure any of them are human. And then there’s me. I was experimented on when I was just a fetus. They injected cat DNA into me. It altered my DNA to something else: a hybrid. Part human…part cat. And I’m pretty sure there’s some snake in there too (I don't know how, but I do know that there is poison in my fangs).

Anyway, this place is making my sick. I’m planning my escape, slowly but surely. And I will get out. I will.

I won’t allow anything to stop me.

Soon, I think. Soon I will be free. I’m going to break my way out, and then…and then they’ll be sorry. I tried to subdue my anger, knowing what happens when my fury is unleashed. Instead, I directed my energy into my mouth, where my fangs grew sharper and longer. I hissed quietly. Then, suddenly, the door opened. I jerked my head toward the light, my eyes drinking it in hungrily.

I expected that it was someone that would be bringing food. Instead, there was a girl.

“Oh my God,” I heard her exclaim softly. Then there was a young voice.

“Max, look, there’s a dog.” Footsteps. The girl passed my cage and looked in at me. I blinked and cocked my head slightly, staring at her. She shuddered and moved on.

“We’ve got to get them out of here,” said the older girl.

“Just hurry,” said a low male voice. “We don’t have a lot of time. They could be back any second.”

“I know.”

Soon, I heard locks clicking open and little feet scurrying out. I knew some of them were too weak to go anywhere, and they just stayed in their cages. When they got to me, I waited impatiently for them to open it. Finally, I heard the click that meant I was free. Quick as a flash, I exited and stood up, but I didn’t run immediately. Instead, I turned to look at the girl. I didn’t pay much attention to what she looked like, but I put my hand on her shoulder. She flinched, but I paid no mind.

“Thank you,” I whispered in my unused voice. It was dry and gritty. She looked surprised that I could speak. She opened her mouth to speak, but I turned and ran. I ran away from them. From the cages. From the tests. From the pain. From the hunger. From the smell. But more importantly is what I ran for.

I ran for my life.

This is a Maximum Ride fanfic with my new character Monte.

"Christus nos liberavit!"

I know the flock finding them in the Institute isn't correct as to how it was in the book, because I hadn't read it in a while. But this is my version. Hope you enjoy.