coaxing coals | Teen Ink

coaxing coals

By Optimiste SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Optimiste SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

And the chill of what I won't feel gnaws at my present heart.

Cinna, when he first met her, had been overwhelmed with guilt.

He had looked at that emaciated, tiny girl, and he thought, I'm dressing her for her death. I'm decorating her funeral shroud.

And it was strange, because he knew that the tribute he would be assigned would probably die; tributes from District Twelve had won precisely all of three times in seventy four years, and made it to the final eight barely a handful more. He hadn't much hope for his assignment, but he had wonderful idea for costumes swirling in his head, and he longed to seem them made real.

And so he had asked for a tribute from Twelve, just for his own personal doll. But he hadn't known Katniss, then. Hadn't known her black and white view of the world, the strange kind of innocence she exuded. He hadn't even known she existed.

But he did now, and as he watched her sing the female tribute from District 11 to her death, he didn't regret it. He loved Katniss. Not conventionally, at least, not by any means; not in a romantic sense and certainly not in a platonic sense. She didn't know anything about him, and he didn't know nearly as much about her as he wished he did. But they understood each other, and Cinna wouldn't wish it any other way.

That was all that mattered, to him.

Short little Hunger Games piece. Originally posted to my blog at 5:54 EST on 3-2-12

Optimiste SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Not really, but thank you! My specialty always seems to be these little viginettes.

Optimiste SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

Thank you! Cinna is one of my favorite characters- just behind Haymitch, actually, who'sprobably at the top of the list- and it seems like he doesn't get enough thought from fans.

StellaDPloom SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs."
~Stephen King

I love this! Showing Cinna's thoughts was a great idea... this was really good.

momopeach SILVER, Wellington, Florida

I have not yet begun to fight!- John Paul Jones

More, more, more! I love how you put Cinna's thoughts out like that. I never really wondered what was going on in his mind before. Keep up the good work.